Battery for GC2300

/ Battery for GC2300 #11  
AC DELCO HAS A BATTERY # ACD51R60
18 MONTHS FREE REPLACEMENT AND PRO-RATED AFTER THAT

/ Battery for GC2300 #12  
After selling batteries for many years, I prefer to use Interstate when I have a choice.

NAPA Legend, and the top of the line Delco batteries are also very good quality.

I always put in the largest battery that will fit in the box. In this case, there is not a lot of room to up size.

/ Battery for GC2300 #13  
Wow- talk about updating an old thread!:thumbsup:

Ray, no wonder you know so much about batteries; thanks very much for sharing your expertise.

As an update on my 2007 2310, I'm still running the original battery, with --seemingly-- no problems.

I had been having some issues earlier, but after the ground strap finally broke (and made me aware of it's failure with a no crank/no start situation, of course in the middle of a snowstorm), and with some TBN help, I replaced the ground strap --and added a second one, just for insurance.

Since then, the original battery has been just fine. Maybe I will get 6 years out of it after all!:eek:

/ Battery for GC2300 #14  
At the risk of jinxing myself, mine is a 2005 with the original battery, as of this date. :D

I have gotten batteries in non-automotive applications to last as long as 9 years, with a float charger on them when not in use, and a biannual cycle on a desulfating charger.

The desulfating cycle reconditions, (cleans), the plates in the battery.

It is very important to never let your battery go dead. You can only let a standard wet cell battery go below 10 volts a limited number times, (some "experts" say as few as 5 or 6), before it sustains damage to the plates.

/ Battery for GC2300 #15  
Just a general comment on tractor batteries, if the tractor came with a 500cca battery and it worked, don't "upgrade" to a high cca battery. The way that a manufacturer gets the added cold cranking capacity is to make the plates thinner and put more plates in the same area. The thin plates aren't as resistant to vibration as thicker plates. So the moral of the story is ...Getting the "better" battery might not be the better battery for your tractor.

/ Battery for GC2300 #16  
Just a general comment on tractor batteries, if the tractor came with a 500cca battery and it worked, don't "upgrade" to a high cca battery. The way that a manufacturer gets the added cold cranking capacity is to make the plates thinner and put more plates in the same area. The thin plates aren't as resistant to vibration as thicker plates. So the moral of the story is ...Getting the "better" battery might not be the better battery for your tractor.

Plate thickness is a potential factor in the life of a battery. However, it is not the only factor.

First, quality modern batteries utilize manufacturing methods that mitigate plate abrasion.

Secondly, you simply cannot tell if a manufacturer made your new same size battery, with cheaper plates, or cut other quality control corners.

I have seen hundreds of batteries busted open from collision damage. Some have plates that go all the way to the bottom of the case, and some do not.

My point is to buy a physically larger battery if it is possible, which has room for larger plates.

Many manufacturers use a battery half the size of the battery box they supply. A larger battery will among other things, provide longer service if is able to still power the device it's installed in, when it is no longer able to supply it's rated output. A point at which a smaller output battery would have to be replaced.

The larger battery could also potentially have plates even thicker than the original.

Since this is something you can't know, I buy a good battery, and worry about something else.

Some will disagree.

/ Battery for GC2300 #17  
Since this is something you can't know, I buy a good battery, and worry about something else.

Some will disagree.

I agree. At 5 years, it will get replaced. The cold does a number on them, and thst is usually when you find out it is time.

/ Battery for GC2300 #18  
TOUCH WOOD but.... I have a 2006 GC2310 and I decided to do my fluid changes today, It has been in a unheated garage all winter, i did not remove the battery or the neg cable, I live in canada ( cold winters ).... I warmed the glow plugs for 15 seconds, hit the key, and she started right up ! Original battery. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Battery for GC2300 #19  
Just for those still searching. Since my 2003 finally went bad enough for me to change it. (13 years) I was looking at the type 51 and type 51R. Although I've seen notes on this thread about the type 55 which is a RH-POS post, that would mean a 51R, and that is not correct looking at my battery. The layout would have to be a 51 LH-POS (standard 51) See the website batteryweb

I found the following battery for the GC2300 with a good picture of how the terminals are set up, and interesting the Length is larger then the 51 or 55. See batteryweb for the size chart. Now I'm going to have to go measure the battery support area to see what I can fit in there. Unfortunately that will have to wait for the weekend and my 20% coupon at Advance Auto will expire before then and the battery below is pricey.

" www<dot>powerstridebattery<dot>com/massey-ferguson-gc2300-battery-2005 "
$179.92
Massey Ferguson GC 2300 Series Tractor Battery (2300)
Product Number: PS24-775
SKU: 9031048

Group 24 Battery

Voltage: 12
CCA: 750
CA: 905
RC: 120 Min.

Length: 10.50"
Width: 6.75"
Height Over Terminals: 8.75"

Terminals: Auto Post
Chemistry: Maintenance Free - Flooded Lead Acid

/ Battery for GC2300 #20  
Duckman, you've certainly done well with your original battery! Mine's also still going strong at 9 years & counting.