Battery for John Deere 4310

/ Battery for John Deere 4310 #1  

DMERILLAT

Tractor
John Deere 4310
I need to replace the battery in my John Deere 4310 and have read on TBN that "Optima" is a great replacement. Does anyone know the Optima replacement number and a recommended source? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Battery for John Deere 4310 #2  
D51R (yellow top) is for sure. There have been some who used the equivelant red top battery.

The 'R' signifies reversed terminals. Most local shops don't seem to carry it.

I got mine from Remy Battery but it appears that they are out of stock. I have heard rumors that they are in short supply /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Battery for John Deere 4310 #3  
The JD battery on my 4310 crapped out last Friday. No warning. Just D E A D. Well not really dead but it would not even get the fuel pump going when I tried to start it. Dash lights glowed dimly. I did all the usual checks and cleaning of the all connections (both ends of the cables). Water in battery is fine. Battery voltage at the posts was >12.

I suspect a bad cell. The headlights start off very dim but come up bright after being on for 15 seconds or so. I can hear a slight hissing from one of the vent caps on the battery. Turn the key to start and lights go to a dull glow. The engine does not even try to crank. It fires right up with a jump box attached. Charging voltage is 14+.

Up to now I have had no trouble with the battery and there is none of the common corrosion on or around the oil cooler or other surfaces near the battery.

So off to buy the Optima D51R yellow top battery that I have been planning to buy as soon as the JD battery gave any hint of trouble. It is difficult to find. None of the 3 national auto parts stores in the area that carry Optima batteries had the D51R and one said they showed it as no longer available. I checked several on-line places including Remy and they all showed it as out of stock. Sears told me they could order it so I paid for it last Saturday and hope the counter guy knows what he's talking about. I'm concerned that I will find out that Sears can't get one either. I'll let you all know if I get it which should be 7 to 10 days.

Jeff

/ Battery for John Deere 4310 #4  
I was in Farm and Fleet (local Farm store) and they carry the Optimas and the 51R Yellowtop. Check at your local store if you have one nearby.

/ Battery for John Deere 4310 #5  
Isn't the yellow top a deep cycle battery? Is your OEM battery a deep cycle battery? It is not good for a DC battery to be kept topped up all the time. Seems that the red top is more appropriate. My OEM battery makes an acid mess and I am also on the market for an AGM battery so am interested in why you all choose a DC battery.

/ Battery for John Deere 4310 #6  
I chose the yellow because I was concerned about the drain that the lighting can put on the battery. I have not had any issues.