Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
My Prostart Platinum bought on 1-7-2011 finally gave up the ghost (paid $97 at the time). I am looking to get an AGM type replacement. I have coupons for PepBoys (15% off plus $10 off) so hope they will have a brand that is satisfactory in a size that will work. I think they carry Bosch and Champion and Optima batteries and should have a size to fit.

Battery I have now is 8.75 long, 6.75 wide and 7.25 high but a larger battery will fit in the battery space as to length (up to 11.5 inches), and height (up to 8.5 inches with hold down). Width should stay at 6.75 inches to fit in the pocket. I found a BCI battery group sizing chart to help with that.

I want to go as heavy as possible and with a sealed AGM battery unless you all have suggestions to do otherwise. Hope to go to town tomorrow morning to get it so I can get back on the seat.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
   / Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #2  
What kind of work does the battery do? Run lights with the engine off? Or just looking for cranking output?

My off-road rigs have optima batteries. I like them. They also make a coil type that has cylinder shaped compartments that are more vibration resistant than the plate style.

Most AGMs require a specific charger also, so look into getting something like a noco genius charger. I absolutely love them despite some people saying that they "dont work". My batteries consistently are outlasting the ones that used conventional chargers.

Marine batteries usually offer a good mix of cranking and deep cycle in one while also sporting higher quality lead (atleast here in Canada).

Hope this helps. Also look up the BCI battery group, you'll be able to find the group that your battery is and will be able to find more results or batteries that will fit inside the compartment.

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing
Thanks for sharing that information. I am a bit amazed that the ProStart battery I am replacing lasted this long. It had a 72 month prorated warranty which it outlived. It had a date stamp (mfgr date or shipping date I am told) of 8/10 or August of 2010. I bought it in March of 2011. I don't think I have ever had a battery that outlived it's warranty.

I don't use the lights much at all. So, just used to start the tractor. Maybe that is why this one has lasted so long.

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #4  
The key to getting the best battery life possible is to charge it once in a while, even if you use the tractor daily and to get a heated blanket for it if your winters are cold.

As far as those brands go, I wouldn't second guess any of the three but I personally have a couple of optimas which so far have lasted me for 3 years with no signs of wearing out on offroad rigs that shake, vibrate and have lights/radios running all the time..

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #6  
I like the optima yellow top. I get as big of a battery as I can fit. Make sure you pay attention to the pos neg orientation of the cable connections. I had to do a little doctoring of my harnesses once.

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #7  
I actually do not like optima batteries, some may disagree but that is okay. I prefer Odyssey Batteries. Now they make a quality battery and I've had nearly 8 years going on the same one.. My local speed shop sells the 'Deka' brand of battery, which is also a good battery.

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #8  
There used to be a difference between rough and normal usage. Don't know if still pertains. Using a desulphating type charger may also help longevity.

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing
Thanks guys for weighing in on this. I bought a Bosch Premium Performance battery with a 36 month free replacement warranty and a 96 month prorated warranty. Could not get an AGM in a correct size at Pep Boys but wanted to get a battery there because I could save a bit with coupon and reward card. It was $149.99 but with 25% off the first $100 and then another $10 off, I got it for about $115 plus tax.

The sales guy was surprised when I turned in my old battery with an August 2010 code on it - said it is really rare to see a battery that old turned in.

All installed and on the seat again.

/ Battery recommendations: Brand-type-sizing #10