battery terminal corrosion

/ battery terminal corrosion #81  
These tractors vibrate quite a bit and this tends to make the electrolyte splash up into the channels in the vent caps and eventually out onto the battery case and surrounding areas. This is exacerbated by the fact that the OEM batteries are evidently slightly overfilled.

Simply lower the electrolyte with a turkey baster or something similar until it is only 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the plates. This will be slightly below the bottom of the filler holes. I did this and have not had a recurrence of the corrosion nor any problem with cold weather cranking / starting.

Don't needlessly waste your money on a new battery.

/ battery terminal corrosion #82  
I should have read the NH forum first, but I just posted a message in the CIH forum about my new Farmall DX33 with a leaky battery. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #83  
Yep, did the same. Turkey was a little dry this year by fortuneately so was the top of the battery. No more sloshing with the level about 1/8" to 1/4" above the plates.

/ battery terminal corrosion #84  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No more sloshing with the level about 1/8" to 1/4" above the plates. )</font>

Yeah, I think your figure of 1/4 inch above the plates is more accurate. I was going by memory since I didn't feel like walking out in the rain to look. I think the key is that the level is below the bottoms of the filler holes so the acid can slosh without being forced up into the vent caps.