Batwing mower suggestions

/ Batwing mower suggestions #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
Looks like I will need to mow about 200 acres this summer 2x. Any suggestions on the type, model, make of a good batwing mower that I should consider. Will buy used.

/ Batwing mower suggestions #3  
What does the county, state use in your area to mow roadways? Might be able to pick one up at an auction where they get rid of their used equip. I'm sure whatever kind they use will hold up for what you want to do.

/ Batwing mower suggestions #4  
round these parts its all green.....

/ Batwing mower suggestions #5  
A dealer here has started stocking the Bushwhacker. Very Beefy!! I dunno where they source the gear boxes but the frames and deck are heavy duty.

Rhino and Bushog are definately worth a look as well.

/ Batwing mower suggestions #6  
Don't forget Land Pride and Woods as well.............both damned good.

Bush Hog and Rhino are tops........I lean to Rhino, but hey.....

/ Batwing mower suggestions #7  
The utility co. I work for used to have a tractor like the one in Soundguys avatar with a Rhino mower on it. I'm thinking it had blades that had to be timed or they would selfdestruct. I don't know the model #, but maybe someone will know. Just something to be aware of if you get one.

/ Batwing mower suggestions #8  
Slippy said:
Looks like I will need to mow about 200 acres this summer 2x. Any suggestions on the type, model, make of a good batwing mower that I should consider. Will buy used.

My son and I just recently bought a new Bush Hog 15'er. We shopped 'em all before buying. They all have their strong points and their weak points. Woods has a rep for inboard gear box failures under hard use. (know 3 different folks who went through that issue) Deere has a rep for deck hinge failures. (Told that by a Deere dealer where we bought the tractor we pull the Bush Hog with) Bush hog and Rhino seem to have fewer chronic problems than other brands. (other than high price!) Bushwhacker is starting to build a following.

For the record, a "bad reputation" is easy to earn, and darn near impossible to shed. One particular model or a few years of an outdated design can tarnish the reputation of a brand for a lifetime. Most all the manufacturers who build these mowers will strive to improve faulty designs to be competitive.

Take a look at most of the commercial cutters doing contract highway right-of-way mowing. You'll see products from either Alamo Group (Rhino/Shulte/Alamo) or Bush Hog 99.9% of the time.

Buying used, you're buying the previous owners bad habits as much as the manufacturers qualities. At that stage of the game, just look for the best mower at the best price. Most batwings stay on the job until they're trashed or the owner is tired of repair cost. Very few "low hour" units on the used market.

Last edited:
   / Batwing mower suggestions #9  
Try searching on batwing and user gatorboy. There have been lively discussions on them.

/ Batwing mower suggestions #10  
I don't own a flexwing mower but I'd love to and have thus researched extensively. I've looked at all the bigger name models. I would favor Rhino and Bush Hog. Some day I'll get a 15' flex wing from one of those two manufacturers. I agree that if you buy used it may be completely worn out. Soundguy bought used, and so did Gatorboy I think. I know Soundguy's was in "good" shape but he still had to work on it for a month renovating it before using it. A lot of the ones used by the highway dept have been used and abused. Good luck.