Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #11  
ddivinia said:
Does the Kuhn fold down for road use? If it doesn't, it should.

So many options. I like the thought of it come out of the baler and into a nice stack as I go along. Dragging bales along the ground does not seem optimum, but I guess it might not be that bad.

There are a number of ways these things work. Some need hydraulics, some have electric, and some are purely ground driven. Ground driven seems like a good deal to me. After buying a manure spreader, I am pretty impressed.

D>

I've looked closely at the Kuhn, well as close as I could through different sets of pictures and I don't see any way that if folds down. I can see where it was put together and how it is held up so yes it WILL come apart but I am not sure how quickly it can be done and how much of it actually stays together and how much of it needs to go on a truck for transport. So for now I am going to say that it does not look like there is any type of change mechanism.

The Kuhn is very impressive in the way it uses gravity and no electrics/hydraulics. Revies that I have heard have been very positve. The only negative I have heard is that it is a BIG unit and if you do any smaller acreage fields in ends up being quicker kickin' the bales on the ground and picking them up by hand. That's where a unit like the Out Front version would be handy.

As you said some of the others use the tractors hydraulics to run the accumulator. The Steffans and Hoelschor are the only other two that I have heard first hand review and both have positive feed back from users.

One thing to think about is matching up different brand grapples since they using come in a set. I think this could be done. If you really got into these things. Steffens is nice because they give you so many different choices in the idea though.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales
mark.r said:
I've looked closely at the Kuhn, well as close as I could through different sets of pictures and I don't see any way that if folds down. I can see where it was put together and how it is held up so yes it WILL come apart but I am not sure how quickly it can be done and how much of it actually stays together and how much of it needs to go on a truck for transport. So for now I am going to say that it does not look like there is any type of change mechanism.

The Kuhn is very impressive in the way it uses gravity and no electrics/hydraulics. Revies that I have heard have been very positve. The only negative I have heard is that it is a BIG unit and if you do any smaller acreage fields in ends up being quicker kickin' the bales on the ground and picking them up by hand. That's where a unit like the Out Front version would be handy.

As you said some of the others use the tractors hydraulics to run the accumulator. The Steffans and Hoelschor are the only other two that I have heard first hand review and both have positive feed back from users.

One thing to think about is matching up different brand grapples since they using come in a set. I think this could be done. If you really got into these things. Steffens is nice because they give you so many different choices in the idea though.

I just got a quote in from Steffan. I am not in a huge hurry, but I usually over analyze things anyway. Once I figure out what I like, I am going to start looking for used stuff. Who knows, I might get lucky.

D.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #13  
ddivinia said:
I just got a quote in from Steffan. I am not in a huge hurry, but I usually over analyze things anyway. Once I figure out what I like, I am going to start looking for used stuff. Who knows, I might get lucky.

D.

What set up did you get quoted for and how much . . . if you don't mind saying. I got quoted for an 850 so that I could do 8 bales flat or 10 bales on edge. I like that unit because I should be able to use it on it my DK45 as well as whatever haying tractor we end up going with.

mark.r said:
What set up did you get quoted for and how much . . . if you don't mind saying. I got quoted for an 850 so that I could do 8 bales flat or 10 bales on edge. I like that unit because I should be able to use it on it my DK45 as well as whatever haying tractor we end up going with.

I believe i got quoted the standard numbers.

850 is $12,930 and at the top it says 2008 5% surcharge.

D.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #15  
ddivinia said:
I believe i got quoted the standard numbers.

850 is $12,930 and at the top it says 2008 5% surcharge.

D.

That sound about right from what my quote was. With steal prices up that actually seems pretty good based on my earlier 2008 quote.

Here is what I got from outfront:

Out-Front Hay Accumulator 8 or 10 bale $3,000.00
Grapple 10 bale $3,200.00 and a 8 bale attachment is $150.00

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #17  
ddivinia said:
Here is what I got from outfront:

Out-Front Hay Accumulator 8 or 10 bale $3,000.00
Grapple 10 bale $3,200.00 and a 8 bale attachment is $150.00

You can't argue on price by any means. It's almost worth just buying one and trying for a season and then selling it if it doesn't work out. I still like to hear how the bales are effected by the sliding them on the ground (some first hand accounts).

I am not sure what they mean by "8 bale attachment" though. Is the grabber set up as a 10 bale unit and then is fitted with something to make it work for 8 bales?

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #18  
mark.r said:
You can't argue on price by any means. It's almost worth just buying one and trying for a season and then selling it if it doesn't work out. I still like to hear how the bales are effected by the sliding them on the ground (some first hand accounts).

I am not sure what they mean by "8 bale attachment" though. Is the grabber set up as a 10 bale unit and then is fitted with something to make it work for 8 bales?

I am not sure what is meant by that either.

Not sure I want to have to dedicate a tractor to go accumulate the bales. Seems kinda stupid to me - especially for $3K.

D.

I saw an ad for an accumulator that was on wheels and the grapple stored on top of it. Can pull behind a baler, ATV, etc. I need to find that one again - it was looking pretty good.

D.