Bayer Celsius WG on southern lawns to control Virginia Buttonweed

/ Bayer Celsius WG on southern lawns to control Virginia Buttonweed #1  

john reeder

Tractor
kubota bx2380
Does anyone have any experience with Celsius WG on southern lawns in the summertime? We live in SE Texas and Virginia Buttonweed has been driving me nuts for years. This Celsius stuff comes highly recommended so I bought some. But is says watch out if the temperature is over 85 which of course it is down here from mid may through early October.

I realize this is the Kubota Owning/Operating section of TractorByNet but I'm not on any lawn forums so thought I would try here first. If someone can point me to a goof lwn care forum I'll go there.

/ Bayer Celsius WG on southern lawns to control Virginia Buttonweed #2  
The reason for the temperature warning is because Celsius main ingredient is dicamba. Dicamba is bad to drift and damage crops sensitive to it.
The hotter it is, supposedly the tendency to drift is higher.

/ Bayer Celsius WG on southern lawns to control Virginia Buttonweed
My concern has to do with when to spray and in what proportion - on a lawn. I've watched some youtube videos and consistent with what the instructions that came with this said, the folks who made some of the videos say during hot weather it is best to spray in the mornings when it is cooler. I don't want to kill my St. Augustine s well as the buttonweed. I was just wondering if someone on here has used this on a southern lawn during the hot summer weather and if so what mixture they used and when they sprayed it exactly. I've read other references where folks have seemed to apply it in spot applications almost any time of day and whiled that yellowed the St. Augustine a little it didn't kill it, which I could live with if it kills the buttonweed.

/ Bayer Celsius WG on southern lawns to control Virginia Buttonweed #4  
I've been battling Virginia buttonweed, too...but just in food plots...I've been forced to let it grow it the yard and mowed pasture, but I don't have a manicured lawn, mostly a mowed weed patch.

One thing I've noticed, I never find buttonweed in the fields that I let grow up all summer, only in the areas that I mow or till. I've been successful eradiating it from a couple of food plots after two successive years of spraying glyphosate and waiting a week before tilling. But it is persistent and has multiple ways it spreads.

I'm interested in how the Celsius WG works. Good luck!

/ Bayer Celsius WG on southern lawns to control Virginia Buttonweed #5  
Find a product with the active ingredient 'metsulfuron'. MSM Turf is one such product. Metsulfuron is inexpensive, and does not burn St. Augustine, and is as good as anything else on buttonweed.

Read and follow the label and you should be fine.

It works slowly. It will stop the buttonweed from growing, but will not kill it quickly. After a week or so, it should start to turn a reddish color and slowly fade away. I spray metsulfuron on most of the athletic fields that I maintain here in Southwest Louisiana. I use it for buttonweed and bahia grass control, and it works on a few other broadleaf weeds.