BCS or Gravely?

/ BCS or Gravely? #1  

lennyzx11

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST/LA525 & 1964 Ford 2000 gas
I’m about to purchase a tiller but kinda wanting to get an older two wheel tractor instead to use for tilling plus. And playing with of course.

Is there a better one vs the other for the older Gravely or BCS machines? Haven’t had much exposure to them.

/ BCS or Gravely? #2  
I think it depends on the size of your checkbook,,, 90% of the time, a Gravely will end up costing less,,,
at least where I live,,,

so, I own Gravely,,,

/ BCS or Gravely? #3  
I’m about to purchase a tiller but kinda wanting to get an older two wheel tractor instead to use for tilling plus. And playing with of course.

Is there a better one vs the other for the older Gravely or BCS machines? Haven’t had much exposure to them.

<--- See Image :p

/ BCS or Gravely? #4  
The OP specified a "tiller", so, I may have to modify my answer,,,
To the best of my knowledge,, there is no such thing as a Gravely tiller,,, if you use the definition most tiller manufacturers use,,,

Gravely offered a "cultivator",, it will stir the soil 2-3 inches deep,,,

CultAssm2_zpse740382e.jpg

For more aggressive soil tilling with a Gravely, the only common option is using a rotary plow,,,

rotaryplow2_zpse5494b19.jpg

So, my answer should be,,
when I "till" my garden,, I use a Troy Bilt,,,

GJz3PT1.jpg

/ BCS or Gravely? #6  
I have several Gravelys, both 2 wheel and riders. I used the riders with rear tiller when we had a garden, it really did a nice job. I also used the rotary plow with adapter on the front of the riders and it also did a nice job.. My vote is Gravely.

/ BCS or Gravely? #7  
If you get an old Gravely bigger than original 8hp, be sure and get one with steering brakes. That picture above with the Gravely attached to rotary plow has steering brakes. That's what that single black bar is in the middle of the handle bars. I had a 5665 12 hp and absolutely could not handle it without steering brakes. Luckily, a local shop had some that someone had removed. With the steering brakes, you can just walk behind it with one hand on that steering brake handle. Without, you're like holding both handle bars and trying to contain a 400 # sumo out in front of you.

BCS is brakes on each handle bar.

Ralph

/ BCS or Gravely?
Guys, I didn’t get a Gravely or BCS (yet).
Found this Troybilt Horse with chipper, plow and hiller attachments for 400. It came with the planter also in the picture with assorted seed plates.
Also the manuals, and cradle for tiller and stand for chipper.
Pretty neat ol piece of equipment.
And electric start!IMG_0506.jpg

/ BCS or Gravely? #9  
I've never used a Gravely. 30 some years ago I rented a BCS and did not enjoy tilling with it. The following year I rented a Troybilt horse and it was easier to use than the BCS. I would go with nothing less than 10 hp if possible. Tilling the same ground year after year makes it easier.
I bought a 5' tiller for my tractor - best buy, easiest to use, does great job. As you get older - shift to a tractor when you can.
Mantis was good for patch work here and there - until I messed the 2 cycle engine up by not putting it away for the winter properly and starting it in the spring.

Last edited:
   / BCS or Gravely? #10  
I have owned Gravely's, Troy Built and a 853 BCS. There is no comparison, the BCS is a much stronger, and better designed tractor with more versatility. Gravely made some cool machines and attachments and for the price are the best "deal". Troy built is fine for a tiller but are not close to the same league (sorry guys). The newer BCS machine are pretty easy to till with BUT the power Harrow is perfect for gardening and not destroying the soil structure.