Be careful of dealer installed block heaters

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #11  
There are people that run uncut antifreeze 24/7/365. I am with shortthrow50 and others.

This is a non issue.

If one has a lack of cooling you can bump up to 70% water in many regions. 100% water was the most common mix when I farmed. If the tractor was going to be used in freezing weather you took a milk bucket of water with you when you left the house.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #12  
I'm curious to why you are concerned about overheating with a richer than 50/50 mixture. I am not aware of, nor have ever heard why an over 50/50 blend would/could cause overheating problems, or cause additional damage if an engine was overheated.
To back up my statement with industry documentation, I did a simple word search; "engine damage antifreeze mix". One of the first links to be returned came from Castrol, saying "Many engine failures are the result of improper antifreeze usage. To protect equipment from coolant related damage, it is critical to know the different antifreeze types, required mix ratios and problems that could result from improper use. A 100 percent antifreeze solution will turn to a solid at +9F (-13C). For best all-around protection, use a 50:50 mixture of antifreeze and water. Concentrated antifreeze needs water for chemical balance and optimum performance."

Coolant properties are useless if the anti-freeze/coolant won't flow. No flow = overheat.

Above is fact, based upon industry statement - documenting that what we once knew about anti-freeze has changed. But as to why it changed, requires speculation on my part. And I'll lay it at the door of the EPA. My guess is that they created some new regulation regarding anti-freeze, which resulted in an industry formula change. So this solidification business may simply be one of the many unintended consequences of such regulations

//greg//

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #13  
Since no adapter is required for heater install on 2520 the typicall coolant loss when doing so is about 1/2 a qt or so. Screw out the plug screw in the heater, takes about 2 minutes no need to drain the system. Any dealer who has done more than one of these will do it the same way (most likely). It is a different story for the units that require a bolt on adapter so most likely the dealer did not have to add that much coolant.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #16  
A 100 percent antifreeze solution will turn to a solid at +9F (-13C).

//greg//

I did not know that, thanks for informing me.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #17  
I think I have to agree with shortthrow 50 as I was thinking similiarly. My point was I don't think you can really get too much antifreeze unless you just poured in straight antifreeze and even then only if you live in an extreme environment would it even matter. Maybe it could speed up corrosion but even that would probably take years. My point about 70/30 mixes is that their is a purpose for them although probably not for most owners. It still shouldn't harm equipment if it was accidentally mixed to that level.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #18  
My point was I don't think you can really get too much antifreeze unless you just poured in straight antifreeze and even then only if you live in an extreme environment would it even matter. Maybe it could speed up corrosion but even that would probably take years. My point about 70/30 mixes is that their is a purpose for them although probably not for most owners. It still shouldn't harm equipment if it was accidentally mixed to that level.
I realize you're a new member, so perhaps you don't understand that the hyperlinks we post are intended to be clicked on with your mouse - so that they open a new web page to reveal related or supporting information. So here are the last two again,
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915572&contentId=7022991
Proper Diesel Engine Coolant : Diesel engine coolant information
I strongly recommend you read both - they may cause you to reevaluate that position. Note particularly that John Deere clearly states nothing stronger than 60/40.

//greg//

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #19  
Thanks for noticing. I fully understand how hyperlinks work. I like the bolded part about clicking on them with a mouse. I bet your dealer really loves to see you come in. Hopefully, you do know manufacturers build in a safety factor when advising on max or min. standards for something so if someone was to accidentally mix a little wrong the equipment would still be ok.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #20  
I sincerely doubt many folks reading this will be storing their tractor at -34 Fahrenheit. That's how low the 50/50 mix of typical new anti-freeze formulas protect. At the upper end, 50/50 is good for up to +265 Fahrenheit. The days of mixing stronger than 50/50 are behind most of us. Matter of fact, I don't even buy full strength anymore. I simply grab one of the 50/50 containers off the shelf. Costs a bit more, but it's less mess and less work.

//greg//

We use our tractor at those temps. If mixed to strong, it will gel up, which is not good. We also but the premix, less work, and not really into the idea of mixing with well water.