Chipper Bear Cat Chipper Questions

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #11  
OK, one more time with the picture.

Attachments

• 5-130339-Salsco826+L48.JPG
    5-130339-Salsco826+L48.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 141
   / Bear Cat Chipper Questions #12  
Wow David!! Great looking chipper (and rig)!

Kevin

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #13  
Thanks!

I'll have to get a picture of it eating - that is a really interesting sight...

I'm finding that most of my colleagues just don't understand - now I know why you guys hang out here...

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #14  
DavidInNH
I assume they probably make a hydraulic model?
PJ

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #15  
pajoube,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but:
This model has a hydraulic power feed. It is driven from its own pump, so you don't need any remotes. This wasn't an issue for me since the L48 comes with remotes for the backhoe, but it could save you some money if you don't have them. I've really come to appreciate that the power feed is reversible. When your eyes are bigger than its mouth, its really handy to back the piece out. You can often just rotate the piece and run it back in. I think that the hydraulic feed is a lot safer than a mechanical feed. I don't want my hands anywhere near that opening. I'll have to post a picture of the warning labels - they are very graphic and make most people shudder.

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #16  
Your unit is PTO driven, do they make one that is driven by hydraulic power? Not sure if I'm saying this correct or not. Thinking of the PowerTrac and mounting on a quick attach plate with the hydraulic power supply.
PJ

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #17  
I don't think they make one that is driven by hydraulic power. I just took another look on their web site and didn't see anything. I never noticed one while I was doing research either. Chippers need a LOT of HP - I wonder how they would match up with the hydraulic supply on a PowerTrac?

BTW - somebody pointed out to me that the capacity of the chipper goes up proportional to the square of the diameter (area=PI*D/4), so a a 6" chipper is doing over twice the work of a 4" chipper.

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #18  
I just stumbled on this posting in the Lawn & Garden forum about converting a standalone chipper to hydraulics. It might be interesting...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=lawn&Number=119092&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=lawn&Number=119092&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=</A>

/ Bear Cat Chipper Questions #19  
Thanks for the link, I had not seen this one.
PJ