Beat Juice -- does it freeze?

/ Beat Juice -- does it freeze? #11  
Somehow jenkinsph- I doubt it would get that cold in NM.....

Feb 2011 we reached -28 degrees and held there for overnights for a few days, very cold for this area.

/ Beat Juice -- does it freeze? #12  
Well their own data on the RimGuard site says it does freeze, but at a much lower temp than most people will ever be concerned with. We get some cold ones here in Upstate NY but it usually doesn't sustain it for a really long time. I assume it would take quite a while at it's freeze temp before it would freeze a tire solid. With a -25 or so overnight temp I doubt it would be an issue unless it didn't warm up the next morning. :shocked:

If I remember correctly; water also freezes different than most liquids in that it can vary from complete liquid to complete solid with only a few degrees of change. Most liquids have a slushy phase where it wont freeze solid without a large sustained drop in temp.

Water also acts different as it freezes than most other liquids. Most continue to shrink as they get colder, but water only shrinks as it starts to freeze and then expands as the molecules form into ice with an expanded crystalline structure. That is why ice floats even though it's water... It takes up more space and displaces more water than its original weight. So I wouldn't use plain water in your tires unless you live where you KNOW it will never freeze.

Anyways, the beet juice is supposed to be the best replacement for Calcium but it's expensive. It would be interesting to see a demo of testing on it at different temps and see how it reacts.

We are likely going to use -20 windshield washer fluid since it's much cheaper and can be installed ourselves. It is not as heavy as the RimGuard though and that's too bad, but the cost savings is significant.

I wonder if you could mix washer fluid with an antifreeze that would lower its freeze temp even more. Anyone know of something that would be compatible with the washer fluid?

Later Glen