Beaver 370d clutch problem

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #1  

z28clone

Tractor
370D
Groaning noise when I push in the clutch. It grinds when I put into gear. It isnt stuck to the flywheel, because I tried to start the tractor in gear with clutch pushed in and it doesn't move. Is there an adjustment, or do I have to split it? With this clutch issue and possible hydraulic issue, I'm beginning to see why I got a good deal on it.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #2  
It's not the end of the world, probably the release bearing. You'll have to split it to be sure. Lots of thread here on how to do it. Just use the search.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #3  
Don't get too discouraged. I consider these tractors pretty well made and relatively easy to maintain. For something 30+ years old it's not going to be problem-free, especially if previous owners neglected it which tends to be the case after that many years. Heck, even the new stuff I buy seems to break just as often (or even more often) than the old stuff. Usually the older stuff is simpler to fix though. If you choose to correct the problems yourself, you can have some fun in doing so and you'll learn a lot and gain a better appreciation and understanding of things. It depends on if the tractor is more of a hobby or a tool to get necessary work done. If you need high reliability out of your machine, it will take some work to help get it there, or you'll have to break down and buy something newer and let the dealers fix the problems as they arise - hopefully under warranty.

I've said this before and I'll state it again here. Either I'm really unlucky with used tractors or they are all that way because I've acquired five of these type of tractors for varying prices, mainly Isekis and none of them came w/o issues. The worst were the broken gears, cracked rims, engines poorly rebuilt, over-loaded/broken loaders, and many other odd things. Leaking seals and gaskets are almost a given on every one along with missing parts. Electrical issues are prominent mainly due to age and disrepair. A lot of the problems I can attribute to neglect/lack of knowledge by owners. I think, in general, most owners expected more from these small machines than what they were orginally designed to do and it tends to show in what remains out there.

All is not lost though. Most of the problems can be fixed, maybe not always as cheap as one would hope, but there can still be a lot of servicability left in these machines. I find these tractors are a good value for what a person gets compared to other things like four-wheelers or snowmobiles, for example. Nothing against those things and I've had both and liked them, it's just that for me a tractor is more justifiable to help get things done around the property vs. something that is geared towards sports/entertainment. It all goes back to a person's interests and I respect what others' do and hope they would say the same for me.

Last edited:
   / Beaver 370d clutch problem #4  
Splitting that tractor is pretty straight forward. I posted a fair amount of pictures when I did mine. Good luck.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #5  
You state, it grinds when I put it in gear.

That took me a minute to figure out on my new little Beaver. I'm used to having a couple of older manual transmission engine cars and motorcycles and at first thought I needed to start out in first and build some speed, then shift. Nope. These non synchro transmissions don't care for that. Plus you just put it in 3rd and drive away anyways. So are you attempting to shift on the move or stationary? Also I found that mine will make all kinds of angry noises if I have the RPM's up when fiddling around. Now I keep it at idle, shift into gear (silently and effortlessly, then open up the governor, and release the clutch.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #6  
A friend of mine "test drove" my Satoh and attempted to "shift-on-the-fly" between 1st and 2nd and had some grindage issues. I was surprised he never drove a gear-drive tractor before since he's around 60 years old. He couldn't believe that you can start and are supposed to start out in the higher gears from a stopped position. If you're good on the throttle and can keep the machine moving forward, you can shift-on-the-fly between gears, but that's a talent I don't wish to seek. I believe some Yanmar tractors (and surely others) have a "power shift" feature that allows you to shift to any gear at any time. I'd love to try one out.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #7  
Sometimes I downshift when I need a slower ground speed. I go from second to first only using the clutch to go from second to neutral. As the tractor slows, I can slip it into first with no grinding and no clutch.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #8  
Oliver - what engine does your 1450D have in it? Is it the K3D? Just curious, thanks.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #9  
Whatever is in a 373, can't remember.

/ Beaver 370d clutch problem #10  
K3A which makes sense since that is about 14 PS (about the same as 14 horsepower) and matches the "14"50D. Somebody was discussing a "Suzue" on here that had a K3D in it and it was about the same size as a Beaver. I was surprised it had the K3D engine. I believe it is rated around 18 PS. I think a version of the Bolens HT23 had the K3D in it also. Kind of neat tractor-trivia I guess.