Beaver loader

/ Beaver loader
I have seen pictures of several of them with loaders on them. If I were using it every day I might worry about the axels but most of the time it will sit in the garage. It is kind of like four wheel drive. You don't need it very often but when you do there is no substitute. I have about $1500 tied up in the build. It works really well. I cleaned the barn out about a month ago and it worked great. Sure beats a shovel and wheel barrow. The loader was a Johnson. I'm not sure what it was suppose to fit. I had to mgf. the front mounts and the block for the hydraulics. I also had all of the lines manufactured. After I got it mounted up I discovered that the uprights were to far back on the frame so I had to cut them off and move them forward after welding in some new bracing for them to sit on. I also made a brace to go from the uprights to the front of the tractor to add some stability and keep the uprights from trying to work back and forth. You don't want to try and pick a load up very high without some sort of ballast on the back. I was moving some gravel today and nearly tipped it over. I had taken the disc off and didn't put the grader box back on. I may have to make a ballast box in the future. I hope this has helped you out.

/ Beaver loader #12  
We've had a loader on our S370 for most of the 30+ years we've owned it. As yet, I've not broken anything in the driveline. I have cracked the frame several times, but never broken axles etc. It helps that I have a backhoe on it for ballast of course. Even so, it's only recently that I began running it in 2wd unless I needed 4wd. Around the property where I'm either on dirt or gravel I've traditionally kept it in 4wd all of the time. Still haven't managed to break anything. But the frame of course.

/ Beaver loader
A backhoe would be great. That may be a future project. Hopefully I won't be cracking the frame.

/ Beaver loader #14  
I don't recommend breaking the frame. Last time I did I ended up using a ratchet binder to hold it together long enough to load on trailer and transport home. Kind of embarrassing.

/ Beaver loader #15  
We've had a loader on our S370 for most of the 30+ years we've owned it. As yet, I've not broken anything in the driveline. I have cracked the frame several times, but never broken axles etc. It helps that I have a backhoe on it for ballast of course. Even so, it's only recently that I began running it in 2wd unless I needed 4wd. Around the property where I'm either on dirt or gravel I've traditionally kept it in 4wd all of the time. Still haven't managed to break anything. But the frame of course.

Since you mentioned you had cracked the frame several times, I was wondering where the weak point is in the frame? I am slowly building a loader for my Beaver and this might be good information to have to prevent similar problems with my setup. My Beaver is 2 wheel drive, so I don't know if there is much difference between the 2X2 and 4X4 as far as the "frame" is concerned.

/ Beaver loader #16  
BRNT, nice job.

I recently picked up an S370 for myself, it appears we have the same tractor. I'm hesitant to put a FEL on mine as I'm worried the little axles up front might snap and then I'd be up that infamous creek without said paddle. Any comments about how it works, how it feels, and how strong the tractor is with the FEL? Could you post the cost for the entire build? What brand of FEL did you start with and what parts did you have to make? I'll apologize if there is another thread alluding to all of this, and if there is, you can just point me to it.

If you look at the link techwrtr2 provided, another TBNer has a similar machine and has fabricated a fine looking loader for it. He seems to work his machine hard with no ill effect.

/ Beaver loader #17  
If you look at the link techwrtr2 provided, another TBNer has a similar machine and has fabricated a fine looking loader for it. He seems to work his machine hard with no ill effect.

I've been following that link, but he doesn't have 30 years on it so far. Just wondering where the weak points are, hoping to make sure my setup doesn't place any more stress on that area than necessary. I suppose with a backhoe added or some overly heavy counterweights on the back, it could compound the problem.

/ Beaver loader #18  
new loader new for beaver are $1800 and small for small tractor backhoe are $2700 + shipping

/ Beaver loader #19  
Since you mentioned you had cracked the frame several times, I was wondering where the weak point is in the frame? I am slowly building a loader for my Beaver and this might be good information to have to prevent similar problems with my setup. My Beaver is 2 wheel drive, so I don't know if there is much difference between the 2X2 and 4X4 as far as the "frame" is concerned.

If you look at this picture you can see a white arm bolted to the frame where there are 4 bolts. I cracked both sides at different times right where that forward pair of bolts is. If you look just above them you can see where I welded it. I plated both sides after the last experience. Haven't had a problem since but I don't use it as hard as I once did.

IMAGE_088.jpg

/ Beaver loader #20  
If you look at this picture you can see a white arm bolted to the frame where there are 4 bolts. I cracked both sides at different times right where that forward pair of bolts is. If you look just above them you can see where I welded it. I plated both sides after the last experience. Haven't had a problem since but I don't use it as hard as I once did.

IMAGE_088.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I will never work this thing the way you apparently work yours, so I should be OK with what I plan to do. I have manufactured fillers from 2 X 3 rectangular tubing which will fit into that channel/frame member and extend the full length of the channel. The assembly at the front that anchors the support for the uprights will bolt onto the front channel and the frame members. Where the filler bolts up to the frame and the front support assembly, I have placed spacers inside the rectangular tubing to maintain good torque on all those bolts. Perhaps one day soon I can bring this project to some kind of conclusion.