Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #21  
As far as overload springs look up firestone ride right or the equivalent air bag suspension.
We had a light duty 3/4 ton that we used a lot, it had the wimpiest suspension from the factory I have ever seen. put a set of firestone ride rights in it bought one of those cheap plug in the cig liter air compressors the best riding truck empty or loaded I have ever had, And it was overloaded big time more than once sad to say

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #22  
Please be wary of relying too heavily on the trailer brakes when the truck's brakes might be inadaquate. In the real world connections sometimes come undone, controllers get out of adjustment, and grounds deteriorate. You can find yourself trying to stop a heavy load in a panic situation or on a downgrade with only the truck's brakes, or minimum help from the trailer brakes.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #23  
Timbren overload springs are nice. I put a set on my 1/2 ton truck. I thought i was a hero and I put side boards on my truck and loaded it to the cab with firewood. It seemed to haul it fine but when I got home one side was lower than the other. I looked underneath and the bottom flange of the frame rail was bent about 20 degrees up:eek: The overload spring was cocked to one side. Turns out I installed that side backwards which changed how far it was toward the center axis of the truck. Probably one decent bump in the road was all it took to get it started and just continued to bend. I had to take opposing wedges cut out of a 4x4 to and drive them together to bend it back straight and then I boxed the frame for about 12 inches in that location. My point(s) are: 1. half ton trucks are not 3/4 ton trucks. 2. Dont be a bozo like me:rolleyes: Im lucky Something worse didnt break. Don't put too much tounge weight on that half ton. Get some aux guages such as trans temp. Keep your equipment in tip top condition and check it often. As long as you keep in the front of your mind that you are probably at your limits you will probably be fine.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #24  
I had the same predicament,I bought the 2500HD 6.0 over the 1500 in a Chevy.it has the double batteries,additional coolers,trans. and oil,it has a 6 speed automatic with towmode and manual shift button on selector. My frame is a lot wider then 1500 frame. Does the Dodge have the 727 torqueflite trans? I have my transmission fluild and flush done more often because of the towing. Timbren is a good product,we use them on our highway trucks as passenger side overload for the front spring because of added weight of the wing plow. plowking

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #25  
Pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer has the same effect on the truck. Unlike a bumper pull trailer of which you pull, a gooseneck trailer is both carried and pulled. Many have the wheels located far toward the back, thus placing a huge percentage of weight on the truck axle. Add to that the typical load placed forward will put WAY too much weight on a half ton truck axle. The GVWR (found on the sticker on the doorjam) minus the actual weight of the fueled and loaded truck = your available payload. This number could be less than a thousand pounds on a half ton truck. Many will argue that you can ignore the GVWR and use the rear GAWR. This is the number you should never exceed. It's limited mostly by the axles, wheels and tires. I don't know what this number is for your pickup but it is the absolute maximum weight a responsible or knowledgeable person will place on a truck axle, especially if towing a given distance on a public road. 2 horses loaded towards the front of a 27 foot gooseneck trailer will certainly overload that truck. The only way to know how much would be to actuaully weigh it.
Your question was what do we think. I'm only one responder here, but one of whom tows reasonably heavy loads now and then and I think that the tongue weight of an empty 27 foot long gooseneck trailer is probably enough to take a 4 wheel drive truck over its GVWR. Especially when the truck is loaded with a few aftermarket accessories, a driver and perhaps passenger and full fuel. Load it up with 2 horses and gear and that weight is beyond the (rear) GAWR. I would not do it. Not with a limited payload half ton.

Last edited:
   / Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #26  
Please be wary of relying too heavily on the trailer brakes when the truck's brakes might be inadaquate. In the real world connections sometimes come undone, controllers get out of adjustment, and grounds deteriorate. You can find yourself trying to stop a heavy load in a panic situation or on a downgrade with only the truck's brakes, or minimum help from the trailer brakes.
Re: Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck
Do not worry about braking since the trailer will have its own brakes.
I've always considered this a foolish statement.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #27  
As far as overload springs look up firestone ride right or the equivalent air bag suspension.
We had a light duty 3/4 ton that we used a lot, it had the wimpiest suspension from the factory I have ever seen. put a set of firestone ride rights in it bought one of those cheap plug in the cig liter air compressors the best riding truck empty or loaded I have ever had, And it was overloaded big time more than once sad to say

Also great experience with air rides in Holland.
We have a customer who likes to drive American pickups, even though you pay a bunch of tax and fuel for them in Holland.
His latest was a Tundra, it was too bouncy when driving empty on the heavy springs. He didnt buy the compressor and gauges, just inflated the air rides untill the vehicle lifted an inch out of the standard springs. Then it drove as smooth as his wifes Lexus (his own words !!) and could be loaded to death with minimal sagging.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #28  
Go with a BIGGER truck. It isn't just the springs, also has to do with Frame Size, Brake Size, Sway Bars, Engine size, Transmision size & rear end ratio. If you go with a 3/4 ton they can pull up to 16,000 grvw including weight of truck.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #29  
Pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer has the same effect on the truck. Unlike a bumper pull trailer of which you pull, a gooseneck trailer is both carried and pulled. Many have the wheels located far toward the back, thus placing a huge percentage of weight on the truck axle. Add to that the typical load placed forward will put WAY too much weight on a half ton truck axle. The GVWR (found on the sticker on the doorjam) minus the actual weight of the fueled and loaded truck = your available payload. This number could be less than a thousand pounds on a half ton truck. Many will argue that you can ignore the GVWR and use the rear GAWR. This is the number you should never exceed. It's limited mostly by the axles, wheels and tires. I don't know what this number is for your pickup but it is the absolute maximum weight a responsible or knowledgeable person will place on a truck axle, especially if towing a given distance on a public road. 2 horses loaded towards the front of a 27 foot gooseneck trailer will certainly overload that truck. The only way to know how much would be to actuaully weigh it.
Your question was what do we think. I'm only one responder here, but one of whom tows reasonably heavy loads now and then and I think that the tongue weight of an empty 27 foot long gooseneck trailer is probably enough to take a 4 wheel drive truck over its GVWR. Especially when the truck is loaded with a few aftermarket accessories, a driver and perhaps passenger and full fuel. Load it up with 2 horses and gear and that weight is beyond the (rear) GAWR. I would not do it. Not with a limited payload half ton.

Excellent, accurate post.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #30  
Go with a BIGGER truck. It isn't just the springs, also has to do with Frame Size, Brake Size, Sway Bars, Engine size, Transmision size & rear end ratio. If you go with a 3/4 ton they can pull up to 16,000 grvw including weight of truck.

Beefing up may make hamburger or of the weaker links.