Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #1  

pk1mk1

I have a new --24 hours-- 48" befco rotary cutter. It is leaking oil and making a clunking noise. It worked ok yesterday so I assume I hit something or did something wrong. It cuts but it seemed like a bad idea to use it. I am very new at this. Any suggestions?

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #2  
pk1mk1 said:
I have a new --24 hours-- 48" befco rotary cutter. It is leaking oil and making a clunking noise. It worked ok yesterday so I assume I hit something or did something wrong. It cuts but it seemed like a bad idea to use it. I am very new at this. Any suggestions?

Don't assume you hit anything unless you hit something. Power wash (gently) and look for leak, loose bolt, cracked case, etc.
Bob

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #4  
pk1mk1 said:

Have you looked under it?

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #5  
pk1mk1 said:

If it's new call the dealer where you purchased the cutter. Make your problem his problem and he'll most likely make the repair.

I looked underneath. Seems ok. Oil leaks when it is at lowest position. Are you supposed to park it so that it is level? I really know nothing but I can't find anyting in the manual about it except it makes that noise when it is low on oil.

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #7  
pk1mk1 said:
I looked underneath. Seems ok. Oil leaks when it is at lowest position. Are you supposed to park it so that it is level? I really know nothing but I can't find anyting in the manual about it except it makes that noise when it is low on oil.

Where actually is the oil leaking from? and i don;t see why it would leak more in the low position or did i miss something? as Mike said CALL THE DEALER

From somewhere above the gear box. The shaft drive? It only leaked when I lowered the cutter all the way which I thought you were supposed to do when you stopped. If its level it doesn't seen to leak. Anyway I didn't try it today because the book said the noise could come from lack of oil in the gear box. This is my first tractor, first implement and second day. I am clueless. I emailed the dealer and will call him tomorrow.

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #9  
Post a picture.
Bob

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #10  
On the top of the gear box there should be a vent. If the box was overfilled, oil will seep out that vent as the box warms up. As far as the clunking noise, does it do this when you first engage the PTO? If so, that is the blades swinging out into position as the mower “winds” up. I know my International mower will shake my little tractor hard until the blades swing out on startup. And the blades can contact the ground if I lower the front of the mower all the way down.