Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help #1  

Indygunworks

Silver Member
Tractor
1980 Ford 340
I bought a befco rotary tiller last year for 300 bucks. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal, but it needs some work. The tines are worn far enough that they have to be replaced. The chain guard cover I believe is supposed to have an oil seal of some sort, but it leaks pretty good. Its also leaking at the shaft seal on the inside of the tiller. So I want to replace all the tines, and all the seals while I have it apart. Can anyone help me figure out where to source the parts? Also looking for a manual. I can post as many pictures as you guys need, but here is the make model serial.

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help
Been a while, but I am going to bump this back to the top. I will be trying to rebuild this in the next month and a half.

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help #4  
Here's a link that may help.

Befco TILL-RITE Side-Shift Rotary Tiller T5-25 & 35, T5-258 & 358, T5-266 & 366 Frame T5-25, 35, 258, 358, 266, 366 (3) Parts List and Diagram

I would also probably give Befco a call. I have a Befco sickle bar mower and have had good luck with them on getting replacement parts. I was cutting a field with very deep grass and weeds one day a couple of years ago. Hit a very branchy tree that a neighbor had felled into my field and then run over it several times with their 4 wheelers. Didn'the see it until I hit it. Branches twisted in everything also hit part of the main body of the tree. Had to use a chain was to cut it out of the mower. Befco parts people were good to deal with in getting me replacements parts. Be warned, parts weren't inexpensive.

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help #5  
Been a while, but I am going to bump this back to the top. I will be trying to rebuild this in the next month and a half.

I have a BEFCO tiller...probably a little older than yours...yes the chain guard pan is supposed to hold oil...it's not difficult to make a gasket if you can't find OEM parts...
I will look and see if I still have the packaging from my new tines came in and report back if do...it the only thing I've had to replace on my 48" tiller...

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help
thanks for all the help. messicks seems to be the right place... got the parts list narrowed down, and I am going to replace bearings while I have the shaft out. total of parts came out to be around 535 dollars..... I figure some paint and wire brush's and I will end up around 900 into the tiller.... so half price roughly.... Probably not the best bang for the buck overall, but I am committed at this point.

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help #7  
A place I I mow at has a Befco tiller buried in the weeds. It is 7ft wide but the 3 point is at one end instead of the middle. Is this a common thing?

/ Befco Rotary Tiller Rebuild help #8  
A place I I mow at has a Befco tiller buried in the weeds. It is 7ft wide but the 3 point is at one end instead of the middle. Is this a common thing?

I know this is an old post, but these tilers have the ability to slide from the middle to one side. You probably could do a refresh on that tiller and have a very nice piece of equipment.