Box Scraper Beginners guide to using a box blade

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #211  
Wait a second! Did you say the 3PT has a float position? I had no idea about this. Our tractors are virtually identical.

If I put the 3pt all the way down you say it will float? Hard to believe I've missed this as the float is pretty obvious on the loader valve, but I'm going to have to give this a shot.

From the owner's manual.

Attachments

• 3-point hitch control.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 186
   / Beginners guide to using a box blade #212  
Hey,

Many, many, many thanks for asking the questions I felt a little awkward to ask.

And, so much appreciation for all the great answers.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #213  
We had a gentle soaking rain on Friday. On Saturday I hitched up the 60” box blade and set out to work up and smooth out the driveway.

I’m a beginner at using a box blade. Thanks to the many fine tips and suggestions in this thread, I was able to achieve pretty good results IMHO. I was pretty stoked and my wife told me she was glad I bought a tractor. Gotta like that!

IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2728.JPG

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #214  
We had a gentle soaking rain on Friday. On Saturday I hitched up the 60” box blade and set out to work up and smooth out the driveway.

I’m a beginner at using a box blade. Thanks to the many fine tips and suggestions in this thread, I was able to achieve pretty good results IMHO. I was pretty stoked and my wife told me she was glad I bought a tractor. Gotta like that!

View attachment 621475 View attachment 621476

Looks good! Hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like there is a crown on it

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #215  
Looks good! Hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like there is a crown on it

Thank you. You are correct. There is no crown. We have very sandy soil and the the driveway is pretty much level with the ground to either side of it. No material washes away or really goes anywhere. I had a low spot at the curve in the first pic that I filled by pulling some gravel from the end of the driveway (near the road) and deposited at that spot. There were also a couple of lowish spots that held water during the rain. Once the rain ended those little puddles dried up pretty quick. Mostly I wanted to see if I could make it smooth after filling the low spots.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #216  
"No material washes away or really goes anywhere."
Looks good to me. I am not sure how much rain you get there but since your driveway doesn't appear to have much of a grade, Soldier415 has a point about having it crowned so that rain will drain off. It's not material washing away, but wet spots where the fines and then the rocks get splashed away over time that is the problem. Even with a good crown a driveway will eventually fall apart with high traffic (i.e. teen drivers) and higher than necessary speeds (i.e. teen drivers). I used to work at a gravel pit and it was amazing how fast the freshly graded access roads would turn into washboards and truck swallowing potholes with just a few hours rain and speeding dump trucks.

I just regraded my driveway also and did about as good as you did except where the previous owner had dumped a load of pit run gravel at the road end that I found difficult to grade out because of all the cobbles in it. For crowning I adjusted the side link so that one side was off the ground a little and did two or three passes down each side. We get lots of rain here so I will probably have to do it all over again next year.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #217  
Thank you. You are correct. There is no crown. We have very sandy soil and the the driveway is pretty much level with the ground to either side of it. No material washes away or really goes anywhere. I had a low spot at the curve in the first pic that I filled by pulling some gravel from the end of the driveway (near the road) and deposited at that spot. There were also a couple of lowish spots that held water during the rain. Once the rain ended those little puddles dried up pretty quick. Mostly I wanted to see if I could make it smooth after filling the low spots.

It looks good to me. A flat drive is much easier to maintain, so if your soil drains that well you're all set. Are there are a lot of sand/dirt drives and roads in your Yooper area? Some places are lucky that way, and don't need much gravel. A flat sand drive gets packed with every rain.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #218  
It looks good to me. A flat drive is much easier to maintain, so if your soil drains that well you're all set. Are there are a lot of sand/dirt drives and roads in your Yooper area? Some places are lucky that way, and don't need much gravel. A flat sand drive gets packed with every rain.

Thank you. The soil in my neck of the woods can vary quite a bit with a 20 minute drive. I have sandy loam with a somewhat high seasonal water table of 36”. 20 miles away and it’s a lot of water holding clay. The eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan is low lying land for the most part. The soil we all have is whatever the glaciers left behind. Lots of limestone in some areas. Lots of sand in others.

Yes in my immediate area all dirt/gravel driveways are mostly flat. What happens most often is the drives get to be a washboard after some heavy rain. None of mine actually washes anywhere. It just needs smoothing.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #219  
"No material washes away or really goes anywhere."
Looks good to me. I am not sure how much rain you get there but since your driveway doesn't appear to have much of a grade, Soldier415 has a point about having it crowned so that rain will drain off. It's not material washing away, but wet spots where the fines and then the rocks get splashed away over time that is the problem. Even with a good crown a driveway will eventually fall apart with high traffic (i.e. teen drivers) and higher than necessary speeds (i.e. teen drivers). I used to work at a gravel pit and it was amazing how fast the freshly graded access roads would turn into washboards and truck swallowing potholes with just a few hours rain and speeding dump trucks.

I just regraded my driveway also and did about as good as you did except where the previous owner had dumped a load of pit run gravel at the road end that I found difficult to grade out because of all the cobbles in it. For crowning I adjusted the side link so that one side was off the ground a little and did two or three passes down each side. We get lots of rain here so I will probably have to do it all over again next year.

Yes. I certainly don’t disagree with the value of crowning. And I will definitely try my hand at it just because. I don’t have anything additional material as a topping. It’s all maintenance gravel from the road to almost the first bend. From there to the garage is all fill that I got for free when the railroad crossing two miles to the north of me was redone. The contractor was a fella I know and he knew I needed some driveway material. It would have cost him more to haul it away than it was worth to him so he dumped 15 loads right where my garage sits when we were building 10 years ago.

My previous method for driveway maintenance was an old box spring dragged behind my 4 wheeler. I’ll continue to learn, experiment, and improve my methods now that I have new tools.

Thank you for the advice.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #220  
This thread should live on. Thank you! Because of this thread I was able to understand and successfully use my box blade to level out an area and also smooth out a driveway. Good stuff!

Picked this box blade up cheap
9Cm4bFG.jpg