Beginner's, or New Member Forum???

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
Beginner\'s, or New Member Forum???

I've admitted over, and over again to being a novice at owning a compact tractor. I've owned garden tractors for 20 year's, but I think it should be understood that not everyone is a farmer, or experienced with a larger tractor. I've seen posts by new people unanswered, due to the simple solution. I'd love to see a newbie, or novice forum area. Everyone is not a pro, at maintaining tractor, or the simple fixes that may arise. I must admit recently, I had such a problem, and I know some thought, that I was harsh in my post, but where can a novice turn? Sometimes the experts say "that question is so simple, why answer it?" , but to a new owner, it can be upsetting. My point is let's make it easier for a new owner to ask questions with a novice forum. My opinion, and I'm sure not everyone will agree.
Thanks Kent

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #2  
Re: Beginner\'s, or New Member Forum???

I am going to agree with Kent and have found myself in that spot as well. I too am guilty of reading a topic question and not even opening it or saying someone else will answer that.
:( Maybe even a beginners FAQ area but that may be too big of a task after thinking about it but would work great. Hmmmm who wants to nominate themselves for that job?? Big bonus in it. Shoot maybe even a fancy "user title"

Darin

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #3  

<font color=blue>that question is so simple, why answer it</font color=blue>

As the site continues to grow, we will see more and more of this phenomona.

I personally try to offer advice when I feel I have a good understanding of the topic. As a rookie myself, I definitely don't have all the answers. Also, with all the traffic on the site, I only read topics that sound interesting to me. Unless of course, it is a slow day at work.

One thing I do see is that people keep asking the same questions. Sometimes I try to nicely state that they should do a search, lots of info on this site etc. etc. I do think it comes off as a little snooty though. People (myself included) don't like to be "chastised".

I try to do a search & if my question isn't answered, then I ask it. I try to mention that "Hey I did a search, but didn't find my answer". The hidden message is: "I've invested some effort in finding the answer, but still need some help" I find that I usually get help if I've mentioned that I did a search. My "How to plug a tire" thread is an example. I searched on tire plug & only found threads debating to plug or not, not how to plug the tire. (I don't know if this is applicable in your case Kent)

I advocate a stronger search engine & more prominent placement of it. It should be mentioned in the FAQ & the guidlines sections. This may cut down on the what I term the "asked and answered" problem.

The prime example of the "asked and answered" question is "What size boxblade for my tractor". Do a search on boxblade, you'll be reading for hours. My non-scientific observation is that the old timers simply skip over this topic because it is not entertaining to them. I do see some of the newer generations offering advice. Now if you did a search & have a new application for the boxblade, by all means ask a question about it. "What boxblade is best for refinishing my family room floor" (Sorry couldn't think of a real application). Old and new generations will likely help you out.

Here's a little analogy: The people who have been active on TBN from the beginning are the "first generation". There has been much growth since it started & now they are grand parents (or even great grandparents) of those signing up now. Having been here a few months and logged a few hours on my tractor, I consider myself at the "parent" stage. I try to help out junior when I can, but defer to grandpa when I don't know the question.

Let's look at it from the eyes of the first generation: First off, wow look how our community has grown. It was fun to watch the first few grandkids play little league. Now that we are on grandkid # 1000 it just isn't as entertaining. We'd rather they were playing soccer. A change of pace for the oldtimers.

To sum up my ramblings: If we cut down the repeat posts, ligit questions like Kent's should be answered in a more timely fashion.

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #4  

Hazmat,
Thanks for your comments, very well said.
PJ

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #5  

Great post!

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum???

Hi Hazmat,

You did a great job with this post. I agree with you about searching, and I did so. I search under all Forums, and the repair forum also. I searched trying to word my search differently to get results. I found nothing that really could help much. Please remember a search will only find the wording that you put into it. That being said, I'm more or less saying that I can't be absolutely postive the problem was discussed, but I couldn't find it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifThanks for the replies.

Kent

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #7  

<font color=blue>I agree with you about searching, and I did so</font color=blue>

Kent,

I figured as much, but didn't want to speak for you.

Now if we can just get get others to search before they post.......

Also if Muhammad & company could turbo charge the search function a bit & advertise it more, TBN would be even better than it already is!

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #8  

Another thing that confuses me about searches, is the multitude of approaches and sometimes conflicting advice offered in response. Many a time I have read a few responses and felt I had an understanding only to be thoroughly confused by subsequent posts.

Case in point: I need a welder. I did a search on welders and narrowed down my search based on the type of work I needed it for. (Mostly sheet metal repair on old trucks, but some tractor repairs and jib manufacturing.) The 300+ posts about welders left me completely bewildered and now I don't know what to get! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Pete

/ Beginner's, or New Member Forum??? #9  

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

I did a "search" to find out the right way to ask questions, and the response I got was...<font color=blue>See Steelfan</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

Only kidding Kent! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

That's usually the kind of goofy info. I always seem to get when I do a search. I agree with you one hundred percent!

I also agree with Pete about being overwhelmed with information. It's like the old saying about the weather. <font color=red>Don't like the weather? Well, wait a minute - it'll change!</font color=red> The same thing holds true for the information you can get from a search. <font color=red>Don't understand the answer? Well, read a few more responses and you'll be even more confused!</font color=red>

Although, I suppose we should feel good about that. It means that we're getting a wide range of opinions and an even wider range of information! It just can be so darn daunting trying to sift through it to find what's really useful to you.

P.S. Hey Kent - Your Steelers were pretty impressive last night!/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif Sorry, all you Colt fans!/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif