Belt driven utv's?

/ Belt driven utv's? #1  

tom4018

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
We were considering replacing an old atv with a utv on the farm. Does the blet hold up? Drove the Kubota RTV 500 and that got me to wondering how dependable the belt is. How often do they have to be replaced?

/ Belt driven utv's? #2  
to paraphrase your question:
Do Gators hold up on the farm?

Sure do.

Even in Ireland!

/ Belt driven utv's?

Sure do.

Even in Ireland!

More than Gators use belts; Mule, Ranger and some of the off brands. Kubota is hydrostat so it got me to thinking.

Last edited:
   / Belt driven utv's? #4  
Have had three ATV's or UTV's that were belt drives. I've been in water holes where the water was over the gas tank and have never had a belt slip. Maybe I've just been lucky. I currently have a 2004 Ranger 4x4. I've used it several times to haul up to 500# of seed and fertilizer to spread on our food plots. I've also used it to pull an old Farmall pull disc. No slippage or wear issues. It does happen, but I think problems are rare with the better name brands.

/ Belt driven utv's? #5  
Sorry Tom I only answered part of your question.
The Gator XUV calls for belt replacement at 800 hours, inspection recommended every 200 hours.
I fully expect that other people will chime in with reassurances about the belt drive. It was my biggest concern before my purchase but so far, at 80 hours, it has been zero problems.
Of course, those people with hydrostatic drive will tell you that is best, etc. There is no "best" design or everybody would be going that way. Different strokes for different folks, but this drive concept has been used very extensively and very successfully.
Now if you told me you wanted to buy this for muddin' and planned to have it under water and mud more often than not, I'd suggest direct drive of some sort. Farm use seems to be a non-issue for the belt drive system even when driving though wet fields and mud, crossing streams, etc. Everything within reason, however.
Good luck with your research.

/ Belt driven utv's? #6  

Sure do.

Even in Ireland!

I take it you mean me:)

Yes, even in Ireland, the land of the terminally damp.
We had 2 weeks of sun early June,
since then it has rained **** near every day,
ground conditions here are terrible.
Had to break up my cattle last week, 2 cows and 2 calves in every field,
rather than have the whole lot in one.

As regards the Gator, it has been a reliable companion since I got it.
Belt=non-issue
Only time it slips is for about 5 seconds after I wash it each evening.
In fact I like the belt,
nothing complicated,
simple=reliable.

Just replaced battery yesterday,
do a lot of night driving,
puts strain on electrical system.
Anyway, Gator, so far so good ~ 300hours

/ Belt driven utv's? #7  
What you are talking about is what is known as a Salisbury clutch system. There are many name brands now and they have been around for decades. I used a Comet brand on a very fast machine that had nearly 100 hp and it worked just fine. I have a 700cc Suzuki King Quad that is still on the original belt and it has just over 1200 miles on it.

My RTV1100 has a hydro transmission and no belt. Obviously it works just fine as well. I wouldn't let a belt drive be a deciding factor on buying a UTV or not. I'm totally comfortable with either.

/ Belt driven utv's? #8  
Haha, yes I meant you, Donegal TDI!
I wonder if a higher output alternator would be a good idea. I notice a change in the engine sound just when I turn on or off the stock headlights. I think you have many more electrical components.
Another idea would be plugging into a Battery Tender every night upon return, which would probably keep your battery happy and healthy for many years.
I use a couple Battery Tender Plus models for my vehicles that get intermittent use. It won't overcharge, which is important too.

/ Belt driven utv's? #9  
The litter collectors around the perimeter of Dallas-Fort Worth Airport use Kawasaki Mules. Two years ago, I asked the operator how many hours he had on his Mule. He said over 3,500. I then asked what maintenance was required in that time and he said only fluids and filters. The Mule has a snorkel air intake going to the belt drive and an dual air filter (prefilter/filter). Not only is it cooled, but it is spotlessly clean in there. I can't say about all brands, but I have 500 hours on my Kawasaki Mule and don't expect to ever have to change a belt. I'm sure many others are just as reliable. If you pull heavy loads, that might change the performance or life expectancy.

/ Belt driven utv's? #10  
Haha, yes I meant you, Donegal TDI!
I wonder if a higher output alternator would be a good idea. I notice a change in the engine sound just when I turn on or off the stock headlights. I think you have many more electrical components.
Another idea would be plugging into a Battery Tender every night upon return, which would probably keep your battery happy and healthy for many years.
I use a couple Battery Tender Plus models for my vehicles that get intermittent use. It won't overcharge, which is important too.

I really think I need to adjust idle speed up a tad, just a tiny bit.
Has a huge effect on the voltage if I press the throttle a little bit at idle.
Must read the book to see how it's done.
Unless one of you genius's out there have already done this?
(edit)
Checked the manual,
no details on how to adjust idle speed.
Anyone have a detailed manual for the 850d in pdf form?