belt slipping hard and movement surging

/ belt slipping hard and movement surging #1  

PA hayseed

Platinum Member
Tractor
nx5010 hst cab
Haven't been on this forum in awhile, but thought I would pop on and ask if anyone else has had this issue on an NX?

It sure sounds like it is slipping, the tractor started surging, so I quickly stopped plowing snow and parked it. I will be looking at it in the AM. I would imagine it is likely a belt adjustment with a idler pulley. I haven't messed with this NX nearly as much as I did with my old DK. THat DK was a beast compared to this thing. This thing is nicer (cab) for cutting and plowing with heat and air though.

/ belt slipping hard and movement surging #2  
a quick google search on "nx5010 hst problems" came back with a bunch of links both here & on tractorforum, some say programming/some say electrical & at least one link says something about a recall on NX series

/ belt slipping hard and movement surging #3  
Belt is wet maybe ?

/ belt slipping hard and movement surging #4  
Tractor started surging how?

Sounds like a possible fuel blockage. I'd suspect (as happened to me) that you've got frozen water in your fuel tank and it's sloshing around (wouldn't take too much) and blocking the fuel line out of the tank. I was getting water in my fuel tank due to a crappy locking fuel cap (tractor parks outside- now have a better cap AND I put something over the cap/filler to ensure no water gets in there).

Another possible issue is that you've got a hydraulic circuit dead-heading (check that levers are in their neutral position).

/ belt slipping hard and movement surging
Tractor started surging how?

Sounds like a possible fuel blockage. I'd suspect (as happened to me) that you've got frozen water in your fuel tank and it's sloshing around (wouldn't take too much) and blocking the fuel line out of the tank. I was getting water in my fuel tank due to a crappy locking fuel cap (tractor parks outside- now have a better cap AND I put something over the cap/filler to ensure no water gets in there).

Another possible issue is that you've got a hydraulic circuit dead-heading (check that levers are in their neutral position).
I always check the levers to make sure they are centered. Double checked it once the belt slipping sound started. I get what you are saying about the fuel blockage, but the surging didn't happen until I was almost at my parking spot.

I'll check it in the am.

OK, called dealer, got a tech. He said that if the belt is slipping it will cause surging. THe (what I call an idler pulley) seems to be where you make the adjustment. He said just unbolt it, slide it over to take out slack, and it should be good. IF not they will pick up to service. Belt is probably aging, hopefully it isn't like my 7'RFM that kevlar belt is pricey. I have one on backup and a spare spring. THey seem to go in tandem, replace one and the other breaks shortly therafter.

Final update. Both belts had slack, just normal belt loosening with age I guess. ANywho, both belts can have the tension adjusted. One is to loosen the alternator and rotate it to tighten, then snug bolt back up. The other one you loosen the double nuts, loosen the idler pulley, pull pulley out to tighten, tighten up idler nut, tighten up double nut. Ran it for awhile pushing the snow mounds back (getting ready for next snowstorm) and no squealing or surging.

I'm no mechanic, although I do tinker, and this was a super easy fix. Maybe an hour, but you need 17mm deep socket and an extension, 17mm wrench and it needs to be the kind that bends and ratchets due to all the crap in the way (link to a picture and I'm not saying to buy this one) picture of wrench I'm trying to describe . Expect to make less than 1/4 turns, unless you want to unhook all the obstacles. I will eventually need new belts I believe, but until then I'm good.