Bending tube with a TIG torch

/ Bending tube with a TIG torch #51  
Scratching the kitchen table with it... warping of your cart may be the least of your problems:laughing:
I was thinking the very same thing when looking at his pictures.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

If we were closer, I'd give you all the welding lessons you'd want in trade for that beautiful table!;)

/ Bending tube with a TIG torch #52  
Block the good side up with a piece of wood(not from the table) and pull the other side down with a ratchet strap.

/ Bending tube with a TIG torch #54  
Joshua, just re-read this thread and caught your reference to the "1/7 rule" - that's the reason I bought the largest tanks available back in the 70's - a size 5 acetylene and (don't recall the size, but about 5 foot tall) oxy. I needed to do a bit more heating than just using the cutting torch (without the O2 lever pulled :D ) - found out that the SMALLEST Victor rosebud used almost exactly 1/7 of the LARGEST Acy tank's volume per hour, and I didn't want to mess with manifolding (or cost), so "home free", right??!? GUESS NOT.

Fuel your safety knowledge - Safety Tech Cell - TheFabricator.com

Soooo, the NEW rule is 1/10, down to 1/15 for protracted sessions.

Guess it's a good thing I'm no longer bending loader buckets pushing trees over :rolleyes:

Bottom line - Now that I have stick, mig and a plaz that'll do up to 1" plate, if my O/A rig were to get stolen tomorrow I'd eventually replace it with propane, no question. (speshully 'cause I already have 4 25 gallon tanks and several smaller ones :thumbsup: )

Also because someone ELSE's lack of safety knowledge missed driving the stem and handle from an O2 regulator THROUGH MY HEAD by maybe an INCH back in 1964 - that projectile, after passing by my head, went thru two walls (plywood one side, gypsum other side, times 2) and put a dent in a car sitting OUTSIDE the shop.

That day, I stopped by the LWS and asked if they had any pamphlets on O/A safety - they did, I got one, and it scared the CRAP out of me.

Long story not TOO much longer, dunno about the others here but personally, I'll spend a bit more to stay alive till something ELSE gets me that I maybe DON'T have control over.

On your twist problem, have you tried the block and pull method going PAST where you want it? Like maybe going past "true" by an inch, release, check, then 1-1/2", etc, to see if you can overcome the "memory" ? Just a thought... Steve

/ Bending tube with a TIG torch #55  
I'm really liking this thread. Now that I'm doing a little work with store bought metal, heat warp has become an issue.