bent hydraulic lines...what now?

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #21  
dfkrug said:
Somehow the original hard lines made it to the factory, or were possibly
made there. There are a lot of hard-to-ship items out there. I lost
count of how may custom exhaust systems got shipped to me as examples.
The hard lines are different in that the manufacturer sells a different part
than they install on the tractor, from Day One.

I know the replacement tubes being two piece are a different part than the OEM one piece tubes. I have ordered and installed them. 1/2" tubing is pretty fragile stuff if not fastenened to some kind of support. Several dozen full length tubes could be crated together & shipped to the factory if they weren't made right there. Relatively straight runs are a safer bet to ship singly than a 2x4 foot 'ell' shape. I can't really think of any reason OTHER than the shipping issue that they would split the tubes. Don't suppose the exhaust systems you reference are a little larger diameter and therefore somewhat less prone to bending??????????????

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #22  
If they are crushed in, get some ball bearings that are just smaller than the line ID and put 5-6 of them in there, and then get a wood dowel rod and use it as a cue stick, and tap the lines out... ( this only works for lines that ae mor eor less straight.. ones with 90's you have to use a ball bearing size that won't get stuck at a bend if it is crushed there.. )

Sounds like a good way to plug up a line with a 90 degree bend!!:D cause it may be kinda hard to figure the right size ball bearing at the bend area!:D

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #23  
RickB said:
I can't really think of any reason OTHER than the shipping issue that they would split the tubes.

So you don't believe the reason I first mentioned (much easier to install) is
the one? OK, it could be solely due to shipping, but I have not seen much
evidence of parts being made differently by manufacturers to make shipping
easier.

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #24  
Egon said:
Sounds like a good way to plug up a line with a 90 degree bend!!:D cause it may be kinda hard to figure the right size ball bearing at the bend area!:D

Repairmen have been using this method to fix brass / metalic piped wind instruments since they existed.

you ever see how many bends a french horn has? you know how they fix them? lots of ball bearings...

soundguy

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #25  
Soundguy said:
Repairmen have been using this method to fix brass / metalic piped wind instruments since they existed.

I have heard of the sand method, but not ball bearings. The sand method
is for larger tubing to avoid kinks when bending, not for removing kinks or
dents. I have not tried it myself.

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #26  
wind instruments just may not be made from the same strength material as hydraulic lines!:D

The hydro-carbon industry uses balls and other various types of tools to clean transmission lines. When they get stuck, and they do, it gets real interesting.:D

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #28  
Egon said:
wind instruments just may not be made from the same strength material as hydraulic lines!:D

The hydro-carbon industry uses balls and other various types of tools to clean transmission lines. When they get stuck, and they do, it gets real interesting.:D

Thinwall tubing isn't much different.. sure silver and brass pipes are a little softer,, but a crimped steel tube should pop back out when you drive a steel ball down it. I've popped creases out of electrical conduit the very same way... judging how easy it was.. the thin wall hyd line shouldn't be too hard if worked at. You don't start at the largest ball that will fit the tube.. you start with the smallest ball that won't pass the obstruction.. then after forcing it past, you move up a size.. then keep goin till you are just under nominal tube ID. That way each ball passing isn't trying to expand the ID more than a fraction of an inch / mm per time.. etc...

soundguy

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #29  
Okay, and this all happens by just tapping with a wooden dowell!:D

/ bent hydraulic lines...what now? #30  
lotsa balls and a dowell.. .. I've used one with a concave bevel ground into the end.. you may be underestimating the compresional strength of wood. For smaller ID's wood becomes impractical.. but anything you can find for a ramrod would work.. key is to move the balls..

soundguy