Bent Push Rod

/ Bent Push Rod #1  

ldammeyer

Tractor
Ford 2000 3 Cylinder
My Ford 2000 gas 3 cylinder stated running really rough - after investigation I found # 2 cylinder had no compression. I took off the valve cover and discovered it has a bent push rod. I can tell the bend is well down toward the tappet, but have not pulled out the push rod. The push rod rotates slightly and is loose. Can I replace the rod and start the engine, or is there potential damage to the tappet? ...any suggestions?

/ Bent Push Rod #2  
after replacing the bent rod, turn the motor over by hand/ratchet-socket to see if anything is wrong. Look closely at valve adustment on all cyls. Maybe something just came loose on that one cylinder? Pushrods dont bend for no reason.

/ Bent Push Rod
I'd check the tappet spring & keepers just to be safe. Also you'll need to lap the new valve in the seat.

Thanks - I was hoping not to have to remove the entire head.....no chance it just over revved.....or was caused from horrible timing (which I subjected it to when rebuilding carb earlier this year)

/ Bent Push Rod #4  
My Ford 2000 gas 3 cylinder stated running really rough - after investigation I found # 2 cylinder had no compression. I took off the valve cover and discovered it has a bent push rod. I can tell the bend is well down toward the tappet, but have not pulled out the push rod. The push rod rotates slightly and is loose. Can I replace the rod and start the engine, or is there potential damage to the tappet? ...any suggestions?

My experience with bent pushrods is that they are usually caused by a valve thats stuck in the gude and that usually occurs on engines that have been sitting for quite some time. As the pushrod pushes the rocker up, the valve does not move and something has to give. That something is the push rod buckling under the load. If the push rod isn't too badly bent you can starighten in and reuse it but before you crank the engine again spray something like brake cleaner, Liquid Wrench, ATF, etc down the guides to help them release the valve stems. Make sure the valves are free before you try to start up again.

/ Bent Push Rod
Jerry/MT said:
My experience with bent pushrods is that they are usually caused by a valve thats stuck in the gude and that usually occurs on engines that have been sitting for quite some time. As the pushrod pushes the rocker up, the valve does not move and something has to give. That something is the push rod buckling under the load. If the push rod isn't too badly bent you can starighten in and reuse it but before you crank the engine again spray something like brake cleaner, Liquid Wrench, ATF, etc down the guides to help them release the valve stems. Make sure the valves are free before you try to start up again.

Great advice Jerry.....I will check the valves and report back. I bought the tractor at auction last fall and it ran 'rough' ...had a tractor mechanic tune it up and it ran well until summer...then wouldn't start anymore. We troubleshot this fall and found #2 cylinder was down. Mechanic helping me felt it probably was down when I bought it. My hope in the valve is/was stuck and I don't have to remove head.

/ Bent Push Rod
ldammeyer said:
Great advice Jerry.....I will check the valves and report back. I bought the tractor at auction last fall and it ran 'rough' ...had a tractor mechanic tune it up and it ran well until summer...then wouldn't start anymore. We troubleshot this fall and found #2 cylinder was down. Mechanic helping me felt it probably was down when I bought it. My hope in the valve is/was stuck and I don't have to remove head.

OK, I have pulled out the push rod and it is bent at the bottom next to the tappet. Upon Jerry's advice inspection of the valves revealed one in totally seized. I sprayed it with penetrating oil and was able to tap it down and it will not budge upwards. So, now it is " off with her head ". I will need to do a little research, but i am hoping I will not have to remove too much of the front end of the engine. Any Ford 2000 input is welcome. While it is off I can rerun the fuel lines, install a new fuel pump and maybe even install a new radiator. Will post pics...

Attachments

• image-180939769.png
    image-180939769.png
    635.9 KB · Views: 1,675
  • image-2741728473.png
    image-2741728473.png
    836.1 KB · Views: 3,014
   / Bent Push Rod #7  
I would try to get the valve to move back up with the spring plate first. Do you have access to a slide hammer? Try to get it moving and get some penetrating oil down the stem. It moved down, it could move back.

I'm going on the idea that it was running on the other barrels all the time since you got it and the valve had been stuck a long time and could have originally stuck from lack of running for a long period. If you can get it moving again and put a little top oil in your fuel, you might dodge the bullet. I've had a similar situation with a car engine once and once it was moving again, never had another episode. I'd try that first. That's if you're not out there pulling the head right now.

On edit, it looks like the lift on that valve is now farther than normal. I would not crank that engine, except with the plugs out, and then, very carefully by hand until the valve is clear of the piston. If the valve is not clear, the piston might start it moving back up. Go easy. I'd try pulling it up with a slide hammer. I have made one for a job before. It's not too hard to do if you have a lot of junk laying around.

/ Bent Push Rod #8  
Is it an allusion, or is the rocker arm broken as well?

If that valve is hanging that far open, it likely smacked the piston and that is why it is stuck.

/ Bent Push Rod #9  
looks like the rocker was rolled over, after removing the bent pushrod, so he had access to the valve. The valve was pushed too deep in the guide manually and is now stuck "way open", probably by carbon deposits on the stem

/ Bent Push Rod #10  
looks like the rocker was rolled over, after removing the bent pushrod, so he had access to the valve. The valve was pushed too deep in the guide manually and is now stuck "way open"...

Prezactly.

It would have been better to have just bumped it down a little and then pulled it back up. Then down again and up. A little farther each time. I would think though, that a slide hammer could get it back up as easily as it went down. Pouring some diesel over it might help too.