Bent Stabilizer Bars

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars #1  

DaveM

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710/LA402 FEL, R4's
Hi All,

I used my brush hog for the first time in a few months and had to adjust the lower links on my B2710 to hookup to the cutter. Normally, I leave the lower links set at the same position all the time because all the rest of my impliments use "clevis"? type hitches with the same spacing. I discovered that the stabilizer bars, left and right, were slightly bent or bowed. These are the flat steel bars that slide in steel channels with holes through both pieces. I had to stand on the stabilizer bars to bend them straight enough to slide in their respective channels. In the past few months I've used my boxblade for a few hours and the rest of the time I pulled and raised my 60" rear mount finish mower. Seems to me that the stabilizer bars don't bear any real weight. That's handled solely by the lower and upper links. Right? The only thing I've come up with so far is that the stabilizers appear to be connected to the lower arms by a threaded bolt, nut and two flat washers. I'd think that this is supposed to be a pivot point so the lower links won't bind when raising and lowering and the 3 pt seems to do that fine. Any ideas out there? What am I missing?

Thanks- Dave

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by DaveM on 10/16/01 02:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars #2  
Dave, I'm not sure I understand the question, or just what happened. I bent one on mine badly enough that standing on it wouldn't have fixed it; had to take it off and use my 4# persuader on the anvil to straighten it, but that was just my own stupidity. I wanted to let my mower swing to the left into a ditch so I left the little pins out on purpose without thinking about the fact that it could swing so far to the left that the lugs on the R1 tire caught the left lower link and picked up on it./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif However, it straightened out good as new.

Bird

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars
Bird,

Sorry, guess I actually didn't state my question... or at least not well! Why did both of my stabilizers bars bend in the past few months? The last time I used the cutter they were free moving. In fact when I'd remove the pins, with the 3pt all the way down, they'd swing inward by their own weight.

Is that any clearer?

Thanks- Dave

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars #4  
Dave,

I don't know what you are missing, but I seem to be missing it also. I have a B21 and have broke one stabilizer and bent two. On my tractor the stabilizers are a turn buckle afair that hooks to the tractor with a pin that fits eye type ends. The eyes are so elongated that it now takes a punch and hammer to remove the pins. The stabilizer I broke was when a 6' rear blade hung on a rock. I do a lot of box bladeing on our road and would guess that has caused my other problems.

MarkV

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars #5  
Dave,

Most of the time, you adjust the stabilizer arms/anti-sway chains after you raise the implement in the full transport position...

If they were adjusted in a lower position and someone forgot... then when you raise the implement... something has to give... the 3-point hitch hydraulics have a tremendous force and things bend/break/snap most of the time... before any relief valve goes off... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars
John,

I think you just nailed my problem! I've never done it that way! Because the links would fall inward on their own when not pinned into position... I always kept them spread when backing up to an impliment. Though I'd never given it any thought until yesterday, I assumed that the bars were meant to pivot where they're connected to the lower links. Now, I don't think that's the case! Think I'll have to add another step to my hookup procedure /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Many thanks!

Dave

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars #7  
OK, Dave, now I think I understand the question . . ., and still have no answer./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif As you said, they should swing inward under their own weight, and I'm assuming they bowed upward in the center (since you said you stood on them - both of them presumably?), and I'm sitting here trying to imagine a scenario in which that could happen . . . and no luck. John Miller's comment doesn't help me with this (maybe it should; not sure), but I hook up my implements' lower links, top link (and PTO if it has one), then raise them just off the floor so I can swing them side to side to center them, and put the pins in the stabilizers. The pivot points, on both the stabilizers and the lower links, are such that I would expect them to raise or lower together without undue stress on the stabilizers. Hmmm . . ., be sure to let me know if you figure it out, 'cause I think I'm more puzzled than you are./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars
Bird,

I think you got it and I hope I do too /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. I think there's a fair amount "slop" built into the stabilizer system on our tractors and since you've at least raised your impliments a little before setting the pins you wouldn't see the stress I have. I still wonder though if or how much the stabilizers should pivot at the lower links. If they don't pivot at all I'd think a weld at that point would be better than the bolt arrangement that's used. Hmmm?

Thanks Again- Dave

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars #9  
Dave, I don't think a weld would do since the outer ends of the stabilizers have to pivot slightly as the lower links swing in and out, but the up and down pivot point is at the front end of the stablilizers, so I haven't noticed (have I overlooked something?) that it makes any difference as to whether the implement is raised or lowered when you put the pins in. On all my implements, I only raise them just enough to clear the floor so I can swing them side to side to get them straight before putting the pins in. Then I raise them all the way for transport, lower them all the way in use, and have never bent a stabilizer that way.

Bird

/ Bent Stabilizer Bars
Bird,

Yes, I realize we need that side-to-side pivot. My point about welding the whole thing to the lower link is that there could(?) also be some pivot for the up/down motion which might explain why there's a bolt, nut and two flat washers connnecting and running through the lower links. Useing a bolt is a perfectly good way to attach this but it could have been done by welding too it seems... if it did not need to pivot. Since it does pivot up/down at the tractor end maybe that's enough. I'm going to look at it again closer and watch what's actually happening tonight. Jeez, I thought John pin pointed the problem but now I'm not sure /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif. I'm also assuming that all stabilizer/sway bars are not designed the same and maybe some need the procedure John explained and others don't. "It's all so confusing..." /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Dave