Bent the 4-in1 bucket

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #1  

garth466

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
Well I'm just about to 28 hours and am fast becoming an expert at destruction. While picking up a piece of stump to get higher on the pile, I somehow bent the bottom part of the bucket (the part that opens up). It wasn't even that heavy, at least compared to some things I've attempted to lift. I had ahold of it in the middle which might not have been a good idea, though I've done it enough without a problem that I might have gotten lazy.

So now when the bucket is closed I've got about 2 inches of gap at the bend. It looks like the bent part of the bucket is double walled. It is a frontier 4-in-1 bucket. I've tried to push it down against a small stump, but it just lifts the tractor up without even so much a moving the bend. I should have taken a picture, but forgot.
\
While I'm asking novice questions, is it bad to try to lift something with the loader that is either too heavy, or almost too heavy? You know, you pull back on the stick and it really strains but it is almost lifting it? I try to avoid that because I just don't know, but sometimes I find myself being lazy and really working it. I don't want to break anything else, at least not for 35 more months when the payments go away.

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #2  
I always figured 'a relief valve should open or my rear tires should leave the ground' long before any metal bends !

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket
Me too, but I think I may have caught the bottom of the stump on another one while I was going forward. I was holding it with the middle section of the bucket. I should say that is wasn't that heavy or large, just very long.

It looks like you are up in my neighborhood. Of course I guess there's lots of places that look the same from Olympia to Blaine.

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #4  
Not to far, I'm in the south Tacoma/Spanaway area.

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #5  
a little heat ( until it gets glowing red ) from an oxy acetylene torch and few blows of a hammer should get it back it shape :)

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket
I'll give it a try. Could I put it against something so there is pressure on it while I heat it?

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #7  
Only if the contact area was really, really small.

Anything touching is just going to draw heat away from the item your trying to heat.

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket
Okay, I'll bring it to an expert. I'll find one of my buddies that has the needed talent and equipment that needs me to do something with the tractor. I have a friend that builds aluminum welded boats, so I think he can make something hot enough.

I wonder if I could strenghthen it while I'm at it? Would I be asking for trouble? I don't want to break something expensive because I made something cheap so strong.

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #9  
Do you have a friend that has or works in a bodyshop? That would be a good thing for you
Jim
:)

/ Bent the 4-in1 bucket #10  
RancherSam said:
a little heat ( until it gets glowing red ) from an oxy acetylene torch and few blows of a hammer should get it back it shape :)

QUESTION, It may help in straightening it out but won't the heat take out the temper in the metal therefore making it weaker and prone to bend more easily in the future?:)
The Gotcha Man