Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #1  

tacker

Tractor
1953 Ford Jubilee
I have a 600' dirt road on my property that I'd like to loosen up and seed with grass - I have a Ford Jubilee and was wondering what yall thought was the best implement for the job. I was considering buying a 6' disc , but just wondering if there is something better suited for the job. The dirt road is extremely hard packed from tractors and large excavators that were doing some work on the back edge of the property. I wonder if the disc will be heavy enough to cut into it.. Any suggestions are welcome - thanks

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #2  
If you mean this was a pathway or trail without being built as a roadway with gravel base then lot of things will work. A disk if you have other uses will work for you as well as a tiller and plows.

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #3  
I would use a land plane with scarifiers but a disc followed by a drag would also work. A lot depends on what you can spend/borrow/rent and how nice you want to make this road. A grass road can benefit from a slight crown also and keeping standing water off the road is key. Good luck!

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #4  
If it is really packed a disk will not work. You need something to get into the ground to break it up

or add a lot of weight to the disk

I use this and it works pretty darned good.. Then a disk

021-3.jpg

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #5  
its called a harrow i would stick with the disc put 500ibs on the disc and go it will dig

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding
What do you guys use for weight? If I were to use a disc

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #7  
tacker said:
What do you guys use for weight? If I were to use a disc

Anything heavy that will stay in place...a large piece of I-beam will do it just make sure it will stay put.

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #8  
You could make several passes up and down this road bed with a subsoil plow and break it up for sure. Make your passes about 2' apart maybe less then you could run a disc over it to break it up smooth to plant your grass seed. A Tractor supply subsoiler will work for this they run about $175 with tax, I would brace it up a bit first then get after it. If you have some type of light 6' disk it should work afterwards may take several passes up and down the road though.

The subsoiler would be helpful for other things too and would help hold water in garden rows plus breaking up hardpan.

/ Best 3pt implement to soften out a hard packed dirt road for seeding #9  
box blade with scraficer /teeth. would be my suggestion. for tearing up the hard packed dirt on top. and then leveling things back out.