Best 50 hp Kubota

/ Best 50 hp Kubota
What would a "good" price for a 50 hp Kubota new with FEL?

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #12  
Crazyal, I want to spend as least as possible. The more I look at used tractors (at least JDs) the more close I get closer to the price of some new Kubotas. That said, if I were to go with a new tractor I'd probably have to spend $20,000 for the tractor and $3-5,000 for implements (rotary tiller, bushog, boxblade). I CAN spend that much ($25,000) but don't want to! I'd rather spend around $15,000 for tractor and implements but I don't think that's possible.

I do want something that will last me forever if I get a new or close to new tractor.

I've also considered buying a $5,000-$8,000 used older tractor but b/c of my limited tractor knowledge I'm afraid of buying something dangerous for me or my kid for the future. Not to mention my poor mechanical skills although I'm a pretty good learner and maintain things well.

As far as new goes I think the best you could do for a grand L in gear or shuttle in your price range would be the 4240, even then I think with the attachments it may still be over. The MX 4700 in gear should also be in your range, maybe even the MX 5100 or the 4700 in HST.

I think others here could answer how well it would do what you would like but the L4400 is in your range (but a little under the 50hp mark). But I would have to believe a L4400 would have plenty of power for a tiller and a brush hog and enough weight for a box blade. For that matter I think even a Grand L 3940 would have the power and a little more weight and a better FEL would be up to the tasks you've talked about.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #13  
What would a "good" price for a 50 hp Kubota new with FEL?

Kubota has a "build my tractor" feature on it's website. It'll give you the list price. I would expect in your area you should be able to get 14% off of that. If not you're not too far from Barlows so I would guess delivery shouldn't be too bad. They'll give you a good price.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #14  
I would also consider the MX5100. I was in the same boat a couple months ago deciding about the tractors. I went with the MX5100 after considering the JD models and the Kubota "L" series. The MX5100 is a stout tractor but does not have all the bells and whistles the "L" has. It was more in my price range and I was able to get one with FWD, a FEL and Landpride brush cutter for less than 25K.

Last edited:
   / Best 50 hp Kubota #15  
I have 174 acres with about 40 in row crops which I share crop with an area farmer. I just purchased a MX5100 4x4 which has a fel which I use to move gravel, dirt, etc and mow with. I also will be doing some light disc work for deer food plots etc. I would highly recommend this tractor to date I have been very impressed with it. It will cost you around $24,000 but the 5040 will cost you around $28,000. I looked at all of them and the MX5100 was the best for my needs which seem to be similar to yours.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota
The guys that do farm work for me and timber work say that it's more expensive to have a Kubota serviced and difficult to change the oil (hard to get to the parts). How true is this?

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #17  
The guys that do farm work for me and timber work say that it's more expensive to have a Kubota serviced and difficult to change the oil (hard to get to the parts). How true is this?

I don't know what models he is referring to, but I haven't found this to be the case on the few I have owned.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #18  
They are all expensive to service at the dealer and if you buy "their" (meaning kubota, deere, NH, or any of them) brand oil and filters, it is expensive. If you go to TSC for oil and NAPA for filters, there isn't and one brand more expensive or less expensive than the others.

I do however buy the $30 kubota Hydraulic filter at the dealer for my 3400 because of the magnet inside of the o-ring.

It definatally isn't harder to service either. Just typical locations for drainplugs, fill spouts, and filters. Nothing hard about it. IMO it is harder to change the oil on newer cars than my tractor. You have to use a jack that barley gets under the front bumper, there isn't a good point in the middle to jack against, so you have to do one side, use a jackstand and then do the other. All just to be able to crawl under to get the filter/plug. With a tractor, everthing is easy to get to and even a 5 gal bucket will fit underneath.

So IMO, I wouldn't believe a word of what they say about it being more expensive and more difficult.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #19  
Crazyal, I want to spend as least as possible. The more I look at used tractors .......... I'd rather spend around $15,000 for tractor and implements but I don't think that's possible.

I do want something that will last me forever if I get a new or close to new tractor.

I've also considered buying a $5,000-$8,000 used older tractor but b/c of my limited tractor knowledge I'm afraid of buying something dangerous for me or my kid for the future. Not to mention my poor mechanical skills although I'm a pretty good learner and maintain things well.

I think you are in a tough market trying to find a tractor in the 5000 to 12,000 dollar range that will do what you want. Plus there is a lot of junk to trip up the unwary.

But for the 15K to 25K range you can buy a very nice 50 hp machine that will last a lifetime with nothing more than routine maintenance. And I'd bet you can get implements in the bargain, too. It will help if you can get over the feeling that newer is more reliable. There is some truth there, but it is less important because almost regardless of age, a well cared for tractor is incredibly reliable by automotive or any other standard. Twenty years is nothing to a tractor. And when the older ones do go wrong they tend to do it very slowly - you'll know right away when you look at one if it isn't right.

Get a tractor-owning buddy to go out with you the first few times. That's easier than you think, us tractor guys all like to look at tractors anyway.
good luck, rScotty