Best attachment to loosen up soil of dirtbike track?

/ Best attachment to loosen up soil of dirtbike track? #31  
Yeah a landscape rake might be the ticket. I have a 60" Landpride that I pull with my BX. Find one with removable tines and you can dig in pretty well as long as no big rocks or roots are present. It might take some added effort in the beginning but once that has been accomplished the maintenance should be fairly quick. Maybe you can borrow a heavier set up for the initial bust up if that isn't aggressive enough?

/ Best attachment to loosen up soil of dirtbike track?
Awesome idea.
Maybe use railroad spikes?

/ Best attachment to loosen up soil of dirtbike track? #33  
Nobody asked so I will, what kind of soil do you have? I operate an MX track and the clay base gets packed really hard just from bikes riding on it. I don't think your tractor would pull a heavy enough disc. A rototiller is too slow and risks being damaged and the blades wear out fast especially if you have sand. A soil pulverizer isn't likely to get damaged but a good implement to look at would be horse arena groomer with the scarifier teeth. A box blade the teeth are too far apart and just leave grooves and they can be hard to pull in packed ground. The best time to groom is after a rain when there's moisture in the soil. If you get the soil worked up good and as deep as possible, groom it regularly or it will get hard packed and be hard to work. I've added sand and it still gets hard packed. I made a heavy harrow out of a 14" x 105lb/ft. H beam with backhoe teeth adapters so teeth are easy to replace. A drag implement with some kind of teeth will be much faster, easier to pull and less likely to get damaged. Ripper teeth like on box scraper try to dig deeper and take a lot more power. If you have a neighbor with a heavy disc, see if they could do the initial loosening for you. I used to groom my track every week and people complaining I should let it get rougher so I stopped grooming it as often but then it gets really hard packed. Look at some horse arena groomers with the scarifiers and adjustable wheels to get an idea what I think would work good for an MX track.

/ Best attachment to loosen up soil of dirtbike track? #34  
Arc is on track for sure. The ground can be so different from place to place. I'm used to dealing with lots of small rocks and hard packed glacial till. We have a little clay and I despise it! I don't envy the folk that have to deal with clay, and am always envious of those flat landers that have rich black loam with no rocks. Good luck to you but consider it always a pleasure to work the land you have whatever the condition and whatever you are trying to do. Owning land is a precious thing and getting harder to hold on to.

Yes good point Arc.
I am in Northern Illinois. Pretty much the finest glarcier generated black dirt in the country. Rich, moist, rock free, clay free lomis black dirt. If you spay your garden house at the ground, you will be drilling a hole.
So I am lucky to have to work with soft easy earth.

Just spent the weekend in the NorthWoods of Wisconsin. OMG that ground is 50% rocks.

We do groom after a rain as it is even easier. But pretty much anytime you can dig and break up packed dirt with a shovel and little effort.

Thinking for sure I will try straight rods on my present drag to see how that goes. Might just make them all longer and leave the angle iron teeth on there....something more to weld to.

/ Best attachment to loosen up soil of dirtbike track? #36  
If you have deep loamy soil, I think a disc and harrow would work the best for you. You won't need a heavy disc in soft ground. A harrow might do most of the leveling for you.

Yea, I still think the gang disc will be best.

But, for the heck of it, grabbed a six foot length of 5/8" 1144 stressproof and cut it into 12 6" pieces.
Will drill 12 holes in selected angle iron sections and put these through. 3" of weld length and 3" of exposure over the present angle iron "teeth".

See how this works....for free.

CooHead

See how this works.
Something to do.

CooHead mt180.jpg

.20151002_192013_resized.jpg

.20151002_192036_resized.jpg