Tires Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #11  
P1010341.jpg
Studded H pattern is great on ice and snow. Would be hard on asphalt though. All my roads are dirt.
There is some controversey about the wisdom of chaining up the front. Great for traction and control, potentially hard on the relitively weak front end drive system.

Nice pic GG! Same wheather here in Qc just north of the frontier, same type of chain as you, SMT back, Tryyg up front. It make all the difference: tarction or close to none!

2 pics of the chains, and one of outside the garage door, be prepare!

Attachments

• P1010828.jpg
    P1010828.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 231
  • P1010826.jpg
    P1010826.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 223
   / Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #12  
I had the 'H' type and hated them so I took them apart and converted to dual ladder style. (had lots of time on hand)*
A very smooth ride and always a chain in contact with the surface.
Long gaps between the cross chains result (in a sort of) 'slip before grab' situation and that is when you lose traction and or dig in. Also the slip grab is when you scratch your pavement surface.
My longish drive is gravel surface while the hills are paved and in the spring I never notice ugly chain skid marks. (and note my chains are studded ice chains.)

*Yeah, I cut welded and added all new link hooks, but it was well worth the time invested.