Snow Attachments Best chains for 5045E?

/ Best chains for 5045E? #11  
If you are insistent on the duo grips, what Tire Chains.com may do for you for added cost , is to put a cross chain between the gather links (called duo ladder). This would smooth out the ride somewhat. Believe me with just ladder chains, you'll pick up a ton of traction.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
If you are insistent on the duo grips, what Tire Chains.com may do for you for added cost , is to put a cross chain between the gather links (called duo ladder). This would smooth out the ride somewhat. Believe me with just ladder chains, you'll pick up a ton of traction.
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else.
Now to discuss , civilly the issue of what chains work the best.
Your picture shows a heavy gage wire chain, I'm guessing 3/8" chain size. they of course work pretty well when the cross link is on the ice and the tire tread lug is on top of the chain. But if you have new tires with deep cross lugs and even one cross chain falls in front of a cross tire lug then that cross chain has no weight pressing it into the ice and the gap between having traction and getting it back may be two feet of tire rotation. This can be quite a pucker factor if your sliding towards an edge and hitting the brakes almost always assures that the tires will stop between cross links that are gripping and allowing the maximum sideways slide.
I've played this game and don't much care for it. I want a set of chains that have ice picks in the ice 100 percent of the time and can hold the weight of the tractor and implement right where it is if I push in the clutch.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #13  
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else.
Now to discuss , civilly the issue of what chains work the best.
Your picture shows a heavy gage wire chain, I'm guessing 3/8" chain size. they of course work pretty well when the cross link is on the ice and the tire tread lug is on top of the chain. But if you have new tires with deep cross lugs and even one cross chain falls in front of a cross tire lug then that cross chain has no weight pressing it into the ice and the gap between having traction and getting it back may be two feet of tire rotation. This can be quite a pucker factor if your sliding towards an edge and hitting the brakes almost always assures that the tires will stop between cross links that are gripping and allowing the maximum sideways slide.
I've played this game and don't much care for it. I want a set of chains that have ice picks in the ice 100 percent of the time and can hold the weight of the tractor and implement right where it is if I push in the clutch.

Never took it as a disagreement VT and of course you need to do what you think is correct for you to give you all the security in the seat you are looking for. I am merely stating my opinion in an attempt for you to be as cost efficient as possible and get what you are looking for. I have seen 2 link ladder chains on deep lugged ags. Yes you are correct: this is 3/8th wire they use for the chains and as a result, there is much contact between ground and chains. Google "tire chains on tractors" then go to "images" at the top. You will see a plethora of tractor tires with all kinds of chains including ags. Here you can judge for yourself. With the addition of the vbars, I do think you will have all the lateral traction you need. I feel you will get what you are looking for with 2 link vbar chains. If you are skeptical, then go to the duo ladder chains with vbars. The extra cross chain on the duo's will smooth out the ride. I have been on some of those hills around Ludlow VT and if your lay of the land is anything like there, I do not quibble with you in the least for wanting excellent traction.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
Never took it as a disagreement VT ...
... I feel you will get what you are looking for with 2 link vbar chains. If you are skeptical, then go to the duo ladder chains with vbars. The extra cross chain on the duo's will smooth out the ride. I have been on some of those hills around Ludlow VT and if your lay of the land is anything like there, I do not quibble with you in the least for wanting excellent traction.

Just trying to keep it friendly. ;)
And yes I have all the hills anyone will want and even with Velcro tires/chains there are a lot of places on my land where a tractor will never go if I am on the seat.
This last winter one of my neighbors got stuck on the private road that runs through my woods and serves the back four house lots. Another of those neighbors came down to help with his NH 110HP (I think) cab tractor that he had double ring chains on , on just the rears. When he went to stop he put the bucket down but the edge just acted like a skate and the front of his tractor skated down hill until the GMC back quarter panel stopped it. GMC back quarter panels do not make good bumper cushions.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #15  
I have Aqualine Talons. No disappointments at all with these chains. Not for asphalt driveways. Not good on a concrete garage floor. I park them on 3/4" thick horse mats on my concrete garage floor. Tellefstall chains are very good also.

Tellefsdal Kjetting - Nyheter

Attachments

• DSCF1416.JPG
    DSCF1416.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 373
   / Best chains for 5045E?
I have Aqualine Talons. No disappointments at all with these chains. Not for asphalt driveways. Not good on a concrete garage floor. I park them on 3/4" thick horse mats on my concrete garage floor. Tellefstall chains are very good also.

Tellefsdal Kjetting - Nyheter

What your picture shows is in line with what I want. Got to weigh the cost vs. performance and see if anyone sells as good for less. Where did you get the "Aqualine Talons."

/ Best chains for 5045E? #17  
   / Best chains for 5045E? #18  
he had double ring chains on , on just the rears. When he went to stop he put the bucket down but the edge just acted like a skate and the front of his tractor skated down hill until the GMC back quarter panel stopped it. GMC back quarter panels do not make good bumper cushions.

Double ring chains are not recommended for plowing snow.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
Double ring chains are not recommended for plowing snow.

I've seen that but my neighbor doesn't consult with me on his purchases. The real problem he had was having no front chains on at all. That and it was raining at 34 degrees on a hard ice road and a twelve percent grade. It was so slippery you couldn't walk across the road without hanging on to something. Of course the other neighbor could have chosen that day to not be a complete Dingy and stayed safe at home by a warm fire.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #20  
Aquiline Talon studded chains are great for snow removal applications, same as Trygg or SMT studded chain.

Serious snow is real close to home in Canada! With that being said, some prefer SMT 3/8 chain diameter; others rather have Tryyg 7mm (smaller & lighter ). They both work very well. However, sometime dear neighbours will buy another type of tractor tire chain and will dearly regret them! Such as double ring type of chain.

By no mean, just like VT, I don't want to star a fuss about it. But standard cross chains (simple or double) are no match for Aquiline, Tryyg or SMT studded chain. Double cross chain back home are better than no chain, but in a step hill, or while turning with your front mount snow blower, you will be backing all the time up to reposition yourself because you will lose traction and direction. Some situation will ask for chains on all four tires.

Otherwise, "serious snow removal + tractor+ no chain = a bit odd". I guess studded chains are for people who want to use their snow blower equipment in regard to the full capacity of their tractor. I have a good friend with a BX2029, with no chain. He will not get out of his paved backyard. He got stuck too often, with his tire (R4 - 50% used). Someone might say the guy dont want to help out?! Fewer hassles with others with steep driveway?

The guy just in front of my house got the double link, good improvement sure, but still slippery. At first I did the same move, got the double link chain, I took them back and exchanged them for Trygg studded chain (excellent dealer!) .

It's a whole new ball game with the appropriate chains.
Happy snow removal!

Phil