Chains Best Chains

/ Best Chains
DIXIEDOG, I stand corrected. Those are a R-4 type tread, they look to me as an odd looking tire. What brand are they?

David

Specialty Tires USA. They were also a factory installed option on International 2544 tractors.

Last edited:
   / Best Chains #22  
Thank you DIXIEDOG, I'm sorry I steered you wrong. I've been around a lot of tires in past 10-yrs. and have not come across R-4's in a 00.9- 00 config. most R-4's that I see are 00.5-00 config. Course that don't mean much, I live a sheltered life here in downeast Maine:eek:

David

/ Best Chains #23  
If you're looking for a smoother running chain with great grip, I can recommend these. Made by Norse, they're called "Super Tractor"... hardly any bounce at all on pavement, but I only transport on pavement, not plow.

DSC00188-1.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

Chilly

/ Best Chains #25  
Dixiedog, try a set of these. I should put them on so you can see the rig in action. they don't sqeak, drop between the lugs and have great flotation.

I initially built these because I was getting flats from mowing hawthorns. All they are built from is 8in channel and 6in for the front with links of chain for the hinges and some flatbar to keep them centered on the tires. They worked very well and traction was great in soft areas. I did some sidehill work and they stayed on with no slippage.

The way I put them on is to lay them out, put a rope through a spoke on the wheel drive it on, deflate the tire, bolt the ends together and reinflate. That way they are tight.

YOU HAVE TO POST A YOUTUBE LINK WITH THESE ON YOUR TRACTOR!! PLEASE!!:cool::D:) I'd love to see that.

/ Best Chains #26  
If you're looking for a smoother running chain with great grip, I can recommend these. Made by Norse, they're called "Super Tractor"... hardly any bounce at all on pavement, but I only transport on pavement, not plow.

DSC00188-1.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

Chilly

Great set of chains. Kind of similar to a duogrip style with the carbides. Bet those cost you a lot more than $200!!!

/ Best Chains #27  
Great set of chains. Kind of similar to a duogrip style with the carbides. Bet those cost you a lot more than $200!!!

In fact, they did... did I mention I really dislike getting stuck? 4wd is the worst, getting stuck with 2wd usually isn't that bad, when you're already in 4wd and you get stuck, you're pretty much scr*wed.

Chilly

/ Best Chains #28  
Chilly807:

Do you also run chains on the front wheels? I have double-ring chains on my L3400 with AG tires, and it goes great. I took my tractor to a place yesterday in 18" of snow that I have never gone to in the summer.

I would like chains on the front too, for steering. I'd basically like a set of chains for the front like the ones on the rear of my tractor, or like the ones you have on the rear of yours.

All of the 2 link v-bar type seem like they would get lost on the skinny 7x16 ag front tires.

/ Best Chains

DSC00188-1.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

Chilly

:eek: Those are sweet looking chains but I fear they are more valuable than my old International I'd be putting them on :D

/ Best Chains #30  
:eek: Those are sweet looking chains but I fear they are more valuable than my old International I'd be putting them on :D

I'd put those on an old beast that Noah used when he first got off the Ark. I DO hate digging stuck equipment out, my time and back are worth a lot to me. Resale should be decent down the road a bit too, if that's any help.

They aren't as pricey as you might think, I paid a little over $500.00 CDN, they should be available in the US a bit cheaper than that. A lot of rigging and rope companies also sell tire chains, as do heavy equipment dealers. The higher the sales volume, the lower the price in my experience. These are made by Norse, and I have to say they're the best design I've seen. Great fit too.

Chilly