Best Chainsaw for under $400??

/ Best Chainsaw for under $400?? #61  
Most of my saws with the chain on backwards will out cut a $100 poulan anyday.

I can uderstand that those who have never ran a 70+cc "pro" saw would have a hard time understanding this. But until you have ran a 7900 dolmar, or a 046/460 stihl, or a 372xp, you will never understand what guys like us are talking about.

/ Best Chainsaw for under $400?? #62  
Oh I've run em and I understand what you're saying but the OP has never run a saw and IMO someone that green is better off going with a mid range saw and a set of sharp chains than starting off with one if the bigger ones. Ya don't learn how to drive in a Porsche. :)7

/ Best Chainsaw for under $400?? #63  
I can uderstand that those who have never ran a 70+cc "pro" saw would have a hard time understanding this
Thats a bit like saying those that have never fired a .458 Winchester just don't understand what it is to fire a gun or those that have never driven a Versatile just don't understand what tractors can do:eek:
Anytime you want to put the chain on backwards and have a cut competition through six inch firewood logs against any "homeowner" saw let me know where I can place bets:D
And when you blow the piston out of one of those big beauties the repair job alone is more than the $400 the OP wanted to spend

/ Best Chainsaw for under $400?? #64  
Don't know about Winchesters, but baileysonline.com is the place to get your saw; I just got the Solo 656: fantastic! But they also have Efco demo saws for less, AND the best prices on Makita/Dolmar (beautiful saw at the higher end 510 and up) Try http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 for more info.

/ Best Chainsaw for under $400?? #65  
   / Best Chainsaw for under $400?? #66  
Yes, before today I had zero experience with a chainsaw. I have some small acreage, heavily wooded. I was just getting tired of paying $$$ for this type of work. Well I decided to get the MS 290 farm boss with a 20" bar. So far it's great! Starts up on the first or second pull, and cuts super. Cleared out some trees along the property line to make room for a privicy fence.

There was this tree with a giant branch in the way of the fenceline, face height. It was actually as big around as the base of the tree, maybe 18" or so. It looked dangerous to cut. The neighbor and my gf told me I would be crazy to try it, and to call someone. I said screw that, I just spent $400 on this thing with some oil and all. Down it went. Just chinked it to fall where I wanted and it worked perfect. Ate right through it and asked for seconds. I did get the bar kinda stuck on the smaller stuff, just a learning curve I guess. I'm sure glad I didn't get one of the home-use saws. When I got home I wiped it clean, ran the gas dry, and filled it with bar oil. I still have to read the manual to see what else I need to do. But this thing is great!! :D Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Don't you guys read? The OP got his saw, almost a month ago.