best chainsaw?

/ best chainsaw? #91  
This sort of question always seems to result in brand wars, so as one who has a Husky, Stihl and and a Jonsered and likes them all, I'd prefer to focus on good features:
1: Get something you can get repaired locally. Often I'll buy a particular brand simply because my local repair shop likes them
2: Look for a decent power to weight ratio, but don't get one heavier than you can safely and comfortably handle
3: An easy start feature is really nice (some call it a compression release)
4: The chain should be simple to tighten. My Husky 372 uses an adjustment screw. My little Stihl 250 is a tool free adjustment. I like them both but find myself more likely to adjust the Stihl because it's so easy.
5: Make sure it has safety features you can live with. Some of the cheaper brands are less expensive because they skip things like chain brakes that I consider absolutely essential.

Pete

/ best chainsaw? #92  
Boondox, check out the age of these posts. However, what you say is still true. We have two very good saw dealers in town; one sells Huskie, the other sells Stihl. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either saw.

/ best chainsaw? #93  
I agree with your 'philosophy' on the saws. I have friends I cut with who have Husky and they don't like the 'feel' of my Stihl (obvious that they are not used to it) and I am the same about the 'feel' of their Husky for the same reason. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

However, there are some new features in the Stihl line-up that are worthy of consideration. The 'brake stop' feature when letting off the throttle is a good one, and one that works better than I originally understood when I bought my new Stihl last year. I thought it engaged the brake and before cutting again, I'd have to 'dis-engage' the brake each time. That turns out not to be true. Just pull the throttle and the saw is running again. I wish I had it now.
The other feature is the spring-assist for starting. Pull the starter rope and the spring winds up until it gets enough energy to spin or turnover the engine. Really takes the hard jerk out of the rope start. Just a nice gentle pull will start the saw. It is available on the medium size saws, but not the bigger ones like I have (MS361).
If you have a good Stihl dealer, might want to check these features out if buying new.

/ best chainsaw? #94  
This is an excellent thread regarding Chainsaw brands. I read every posts and it appears that Stihl is the most popular and most reliable brand of Chainsaw. I own Shindaiwa and Echo chainsaws and I don't need another saw. After reading these posts, may be I should reassess my "nice to have" list and go see my local Stihl dealer to buy a Stihl saw.

/ best chainsaw? #95  
If it matters, I vote for the Jonsered, you should at least give them consideration. They are as good as Husky's and Stihl's, no doubt!

/ best chainsaw? #96  
gmsssi,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jonsered, you should at least give them consideration. They are as good as Husky's )</font>

You are correct as Jonsereds are pretty much red Huskys. They are both owned by the same company.

From Jonsered website:
Jonsered is a wholly-owned subsidiary company of the Electrolux group, which is one of the biggest industrial groups in the world.

From the Husqvarna website:
Husqvarna is now a part of the Electrolux Group.

Phil

/ best chainsaw? #97  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Boondox, check out the age of these posts. However, what you say is still true. We have two very good saw dealers in town; one sells Huskie, the other sells Stihl. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either saw. )</font>

Darn -- I forgot my reading glasses again!

/ best chainsaw? #98  
I have that spring assist on my little Stihl and agree it's a very nice feature especially when working off the ground!

Pete

/ best chainsaw? #99  
Which Stihl models come with that assist?

/ best chainsaw? #100  
beenthere, I did a lot of research on the easy2start saws the option is only available on MS 180,210,250 C's as far as what their web site list the way that it works as described by my dealer is like a clock spring when you pull the starter rope out it winds the spring and on the release or rewind it starts the engine. My dealer was not to knocked out on the option and said that they had to do work on several of them already although its a fairly new option mainly because as the saw gets a little age to it, the spring loses its stength plus the saw unless perfectly tuned wouldn't fire off consistently on the first or even the fifth pull and release. I ended up buying the MS260 pro with the manual compression release it is wonderful so far. I think most of the larger saws have some sort of decompression valve to assist in starting the 260pro just has it as a manual button you push and has proven to be trustworthy.
Steve