best chainsaw?

/ best chainsaw? #31  
That saw really kicks! )</font>

UHMM ... Maybe not the best choice of words when it comes to Chainsaws /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John

/ best chainsaw? #32  
Well, I had to agree with you about the chainsaw. But now about tractors, what kind did you say you had. Oh forget it, no one probably has ever heard of it anyway, some off breed. Now mine is a good one, I was using it today. And everyone has heard of Yanmar, they are the good ones.

/ best chainsaw? #33  
Hey Dave, I get tired of changing out chains too. How much is the bench grinder? I looked into Stihl brand carbide toothed chain. They are proud of it, about $100 per chain or a whole roll of it for about $500 if I remember correctly.

Now that we also have a 5420 in the stable, I just knock 'em over, pick 'em up and stack 'em on the pile...much easier. Keeps the chiropractor away. I guess when I build on our place, I'll actually chop some up for firewood...Kyle

/ best chainsaw? #34  
Just so you'll know Jonsered saws are made in the Husky factory, and Makita saws are made by Dolmar. Nobody wants Stihl to make their saws. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ best chainsaw? #35  
Hey, I'm not a pro or even an enthusiast - I just cut down trees when they die, get blown over, or get in my wife's way. Sometimes I do venture over to the neighbors to help him out. He has a small Craftsman saw & he makes me nervous, so I've started to cut the bigger stuff for him.

One of the guys at my dealer really tried to convince me that my last bar was a size too large for my chain. The owner walked over and took a look, and commented that it was a REALLY worn bar. Maybe I should replace them more often - how many hours of cutting does a bar or chain last? I usually hand sharpen the chains before each use.

I do replace the blade on my brush-cutter annually, since I cut down many more trees (most <5") than I do with the saws.

P.S. The 350 is the wife's saw. Well at least that is what I told her. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ best chainsaw? #36  
when i worked in the woods, i used about a a chain every 4 weeks, and a bar every 3 chains... mind you i didn't dull a saw very often, and they always got filed every day at noon and after work. btw, i'd burn atleast 5 gallons of fuel a week, and put up 30 cords of 8' stud wood and 2500-5000 boardfeet of logs.

after using a 18" bar, i cannot use a shorter bar in the brush. cutting red spruce, you need the reach to limb the tree when your waist deep in snow and brush. when i cut firewood with my father, when i'd run out of gas he'd pass me his saw off the skidder ( partner 5000 with 15 1/2" bar) and i could not use it in the brush, if your used to a long bar, the shorter ones are too easy to kick back.

/ best chainsaw? #37  
You are smart. I went through years of buying cheap chainsaws, wearing them out, throwing them away. I finally bought a Stihl Farm King. What a difference!

I think Stihl or Husky would be fine. The company that I bought mine from sells, rents, and services both. The mechanics opinion of them are that there is little difference in reliability.

Good luck,

Buck

/ best chainsaw? #38  
Ya, I see that now /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lets say, that saw really cuts like the dickens maybe...

/ best chainsaw? #39  
While i agree that stihl and husky make outstanding saws and i will probably buy one when i wear out mine but i must sayt my poulans have held up.
i have a poulan 3800 and a 1800 both are over ten years old and have cut ALOT of wood.

the little 1800 gets carried around on a atv alot and gets used to clear stuff on my 2000 acre hunting leases and always makes me happy.
both have had carbs rebuilt several times and now that i know how to do them them stay fresh.

i have a stihl weed eater and yep when i put these poulans to rest i will probably get a stihl or husky but for now , as the last ten years , my poulans are going strong.

oh yeah i only paid $99 for the 1800 and i think around $200 for the 3800 , i think i got my moneys worth! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ best chainsaw? #40  
I'm with you. My brother had a Stihl and it was definitely a fine saw and was used and abused and I would have no complaints with it except that the thing was heavy. I've had two Poulans and could never have asked for anything better; light weight, easy to handle, and always started easily.