Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790 #11  
OH....and Countryline is TSC's house brand for implements. In most cases the Countryline is a re-badged KK. BUT....I would verify when making an order.

I suppose that TSC wants to be able to purchase the new brand from a variety of vendors for different markets. They may offer KK in one market and another brand in a different market. Buyer beware. ;)

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790
Foggy,

You are right about the 5 1/2'. I'm still looking. Northern Tool had one like yours on sale for $999 online recently. But still there's substantial shipping involved. You don't see heavy farm equipment at the closest NT store, about an hour from me so I would have to have it shipped.

I'm continuing to look for a decent 5 1/2' DH , new or used, over 600 lbs. A Woods would be great too, but more money than I want to spend. Have a couple prospects. Will let you know if they look good. Should know this week.

Continuing Thanks

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790 #13  
Here's a pic of my 790 with my Frontier DH behind it. This it not a real heavy unit so the tractor pulls it just fine. I need to add some weight like foggy did to his DH. I have read on this forum that the harrow needs to have at least 40lbs of weight for each disc to cut well, the formula is to take the total weight of the harrow and divide by the number of discs. Mine is under the 40lbs per disc. The Frontier I have is just over 5ft wide, so it covers the tire tracks nicely. I'm happy with it.

Frontierdischarrow002-1.jpg

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790 #14  
I am curious why you would wan't a disc for this tractor? With such a light tractor and R4s' it just seems a tiller will do a better job in one pass across the ground.

I worked with my tractor and tiller this weekend working on some bottomland that had one end of it that was wetter than I liked. If I had been pulling a disk it would have been stuck for sure.

Kebo,

Good photo. You and the rest of the responders have some nice lookin' rigs. I am trying to find a 5 1/2' DH over 600 lbs. That's about 38+ lbs per disc with a 16 disk unit.

Jenkinsph,

I would like a tiller. I just don't want to spend the extra money it would cost for one. That is why I am trying to be very specific on getting a "real world" proper size and weight DH for my tractor. While I know I may screw up because of inexperience, and go where I shouldn't go at times, I plan on trying to limit my exposure to soils where I know I will have problems.

Thank you both for responding

I purchased a DH today. A new Howse medium duty model # DLHT16822B. Appears solid/sturdy, welds look good and the dealer was very helpful, though about 65 miles away. Cost: With tax about $855.00. I think one of the following links should get you to the Howse site with a photo of this particular model if you want to look at it and get other specs.

DISC HARROW 16 18 BLADES W/BALL BRG [DLHT16822B] - $0.00 : Howse Implement Company, Your source for tractor and farm equipment parts and supplies

index.php

Its a 5 1/2' DH with 18" discs weighing approximately 618lbs. The frame is 2"X3" tubular steel, the gang arms are 3"x3". This DH has sealed bearings but you can get it with cast bearings. It has five adjustible gang positions. It also has drop down clevis hitches for the lift pins which may make attachment easier. I have a quick hitch, not sure if it will work with this type hook up or not yet. The only thing I don't like about the purchase, a slight irritant, is the Owners Manual is for a different model. The dealer rep advised the manual has not been updated yet for this model.

Its still on the trailer, stormy day today. I'll try to get it on the tractor this week sometime and will attempt to post a picture if possible. Not getting my hopes up here that I can do that.

If there are questions let me know. Thanks again to you all for your advice comments and info. They were all to the point and very helpful.

Ctrac

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790 #17  
I think you made a good choice.....at a good price too! I like the adjustment feature on the Howse (at least on paper). :)

I have never seen one of those Howse units....but they sure looked good on the web when I was researching disc's last year. Looks like it has all the right features. Let us know how it works out for you.

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790 #18  
Opps....they changed that adjustment feature (lever adjustment) on the pic you posted.......compared to the one I saw last year. :confused: This is similar to the adjustment I have....it works. Looks allot like the Kk ;)

/ Best Disk Diameter Size for Disk Harrow for JD 790 #19  
One of the best things you can do with any disk is to be sure you have it level. Front to rear and side to side. Also play with your ground speed and width of cut. Often slower cuts into hard ground better but little speed breaks up the dirt and is more level. Over lapping has some advantage also on rough ground as you can keep one wheel in softer fresh cut dirt and such dirt normally needs a second trip any how.

Hooked up the disc last night. Will try to post the photos here. Photos are prior to any adjustments being made. Just as I got it.

I adjusted the DH and tried it out today. Leveled it properly and experimented with it as Mr. Thompson suggested. DH Seems to work good. Of course I use the term "seems", because I don't have any experience with one to compare it too. It's not necessarily simple to adjust/ readjust the cutting angles.

Attachments

• DSC02686.JPG
    DSC02686.JPG
    564.8 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC02687.JPG
    DSC02687.JPG
    591.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC02688.JPG
    DSC02688.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC02689.JPG
    DSC02689.JPG