Best drillbit for steel

/ Best drillbit for steel #51  
I agree with the above comments about time, <1 minute per hole after the pilot hole is drilled.
Sharpen as soon as it gets dull or you're just wasting your muscle.
I like to stand on the piece I'm drilling with the side handle against my leg and power it through :)

The pilot bit has to be at least the same size as the chisel point (that center area) on your big bit. I'm not home or I'd go measure mine and see how big it is.

One tip for hole saw use, get it started so the saw makes a mark, then drill a few holes around the rim on that mark for the chips to escape.
Learned that one about 25 years too late.....;)

Edit: I hate drilling by hand actually, that's why I have the big Drill Doctor - after a few sharpenings by eye, I'm a little off and it fixes them right up.
Also, when drilling on vehicles laying on the floor, I put the drill on a jack and let it push.
When drilling frames, I hook a pry bar to a chain and use it as a lever to pull the drill into the frame...
Be careful with too big a pilot. A pilot tends to destabilize the starting cut of the larger bit until the full taper point is buried. The bigger the pilot the more touchy the start is. Little of an issue with a drillpress, but by hand the drill may chatter and orbit or grab.
larry