Best fence post

/ Best fence post #11  
Hey, always wanted to try drill steel. If you know of a Quarry around. They usually sell the stuff for scrap. 2" of solid steel with a hole in the middle. Could cut it to lenght with a torch, and would outlast fence pickets by Oh, 50 years or so. Plus will not bend.

/ Best fence post #12  
What is the best fence post ( treated ,ceder , locust ) for long life

For natural wood hedge would be best and black locust second best. Hedge is some pretty gosh awful mean wood to work with. It is death on chain saw blades. I have been using treated posts set in concrete for the last 35 years with no problem. Many here will tell you treated posts set in concrete will rot out but I have never had that problem. We have about 8 hedge trees on our place. No way am I going to tangle with these puppies for fence posts. I live less than a mile from the Indiana/Ohio border

/ Best fence post #13  
Depends on your needs. In our area most use round treated wood posts. Some will use cedar as it is somewhat common, steel posts are also used but not that common.
Our 3 fenced pastures for goats all use the round wood post, 4-5 inches by 8 ft. Our cedar snake fence is for decoration only.

Attachments

• Fenceposts 001.jpg
    Fenceposts 001.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Fenceposts 002.jpg
    Fenceposts 002.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 125
   / Best fence post #14  
I have a whole line of black locust posts running through my woods that mark an old pasture that last had cows in it 60 years ago. Those posts are at least 80 years old according to the fellow I bought the land from.