Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!!

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #1  

HayDR

Veteran Member, Approved Advertiser
Tractor
JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055
For much of the eastern half of the USA this is the heaviest hay crop on record. In our area we are 9" of rain ahead of normal. Due to the heavy growth, the hay crops are just too thick for the old worn-out machines and old technology of yester year. Some hay crops are yielding 4-5 ton per acre per cutting. This is not a year that a novice can take an old sicklebar mower and cut hay. It's time to update the mowers.

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #2  
My MoCo is doing just fine, thank you.

Attachments

• 283403-finished cutting.jpg
    283403-finished cutting.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 197
   / Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #3  
Well you don't mean the Northeast or Mid Atlantic when you say the "Eastern 1/2 of the U.S". Sure you don't mean the Eatsern 1/2 of the Mid- West? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most people here haven't been able to cut and what they did cut was just out of necessity. Many people hear have written thta the just brush hogged it down because they had no other option.

Dairy farmers near me baled some stuff between rains- 1/2 which they chopped and 1/2 that was too wet for many good bales. None of it will ever be good for horse which is who they sell the excess to. The stuff is tall but it's past it's prime and will be like feedind small timbers now it's so thick /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But what do you do when it rains almost daily for 1 1/2 mos.?? Never sunny and breazy to dry any hay here dyring the entire months of May and June you can't string 3 good days together. Even when it doesn't rain it's cool, damp and relatively still.

Saw it again yesterday one of the larger farms near me evidently tried to do one of the small fields and got caught by the weather, what he had on the cart looked less than ideal as it sat under a tarp in a downpour.

P.S. Glad someones having a banner year that way you can sell cheap to me and those around me when we need to truck the stuff in /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!!
Take the weather out of making hay.

Bale it the same day you cut it, wrap it and you'll have haylage with double the protein. Many of the COOPs and dealers are renting wrappers. If you have a standard Vermeer "I" or newer it will bale haylage. You need 35% internal moisture or better to make the pickling process work.
We bales hay last December in the cold weather and the cattle loved it and got fat on it.
McHale%20991B.jpg

McHale 991B The One man wrapper system

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #5  
Re: Take the weather out of making hay.

You need 35% internal moisture or better to make the pickling process work.
We bales hay last December in the cold weather and the cattle loved it and got fat on it.

Sounds good, now if I could just get the Horses to eat beef /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We had this MO-CO traded in on a DiscPro. The MO-CO is fine but if you want to go fast the DiscPro discbine will mow 12-14 MPH if you have the HP.
JD%20MOCO%20710.jpg

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #7  
If it would just dry up so it can be cut....

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #8  
I know you guys don't have the ground we do but if we DON'T get 4-5 ton per acre there's something wrong every year.I just got the last of my first cutting done today at the house here. I bet we're at 6 ton/acre on it.

God made horses for the French to eat and to end up in ALPO cans.

/ Best Hay Year on record!!!!!!!!! #10  

I thought God made horses so that a man could herd the other beasts from horseback so that I could have a proper BBQ??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But seriously I know they are getting some of the hay of the fields that will be suitable for cattle. As far as horse hay I don't know of anyone who's made any around me.