Best implement for snow removal

/ Best implement for snow removal #51  
After several years as my main snow removal tool we got a nasty storm of over 40". It wasn't the depth of the snow but that the first 12" was different than the rest. It set up and the plow would just ride over the top of it on the first pass. After spending the night getting stuck then unstuck and finally having the throw bearing die I switched to a blower. Since doing so we've had a couple more storms like that and it doesn't phase the tractor at all. I still use the truck when time is a factor but most of the time I would rather put the snow 40' into the woods with the blower.

02-01-09_1104.jpg

Kind of had to post a picture of the old girl since others were posting pictures. BTW weight is not a problem for me. :laughing:

/ Best implement for snow removal #52  
Dave,
Now that's what I'm talkin about! :thumbsup:
What kind of blower is that? At first I thought it was a Normand but now I'm not sure.

Al,
That is quite a nice setup, and I would think unstoppable with those chains on the rears. I bet it comes in handy in the "off season" as well with the dump bed.

It's nice to see everyone's different views and opinions on what works best for them and their locations. Some great pics on here.

I can tell you what does NOT work best as the "best implement for snow removal", and that is a combination landscape rake/drop down grader blade. It is way too light weight to get under any hardpack snow of course, snow will fall through the tines of the upper portion of the rake.
i-4pT7sdV-XL.jpg

For this winter, I've upgraded my rear blade to a heavy duty, and wider rear blade with 3 way hydraulics (Landpride RBT 4096) which should make it much easier for me to deal with the snow removal chores. Hopefully I notice a big difference!

Maybe one day I'll have my dream removal setup....
i-34nHMpR-XL.jpg

/ Best implement for snow removal #53  
I bought a HLA mod#2000 7' front plow with hydraulics last season. It has a central pivot and a single 3" dia. piston and crossover valve, to save from damage to the loader's structure, especially the arms. It has adjustable feet and a reversible cutting edge.It's got large trip springs too. It's designed for the application of front, tractor mounted plow, and has distinct advantages over a truck plow mounted on a FEL. I used rear chains, and loaded tires too, with open station. I like it. It's not a cheap rig, but I bought for the long haul, and it does all I ask it to without a wimper.:)

Here are the details: (Hover over text details for close-up pics of item sited). HLA Snow

/ Best implement for snow removal #54  
78" blower on the back of a big heavy built tractor ... don't even need chains... :)

/ Best implement for snow removal #55  
450 feet is pretty short - use a 6' rear blade and drive forewards for anything under a foot, put a load of snow in the FEL to keep the rear blade from kicking the front end into the bank, use the diff lock on the first pass. Use the spare $$ you save to get a set of trygg studded square pattern ice chains (about $500) for your rears and another $100 for a set of plain JD chains for the fronts. Get a cheap chain tightener from TSC, 4 1/4" clevises, and toss the attachment hardware that comes with the front JD chains they are useless and will come off when you least want them to (dark, cold, snowy night) and make a mess on your front hubs. Good chains = happy tractor operator. You'll want to use the FEL for larger storms but a 450 foot drive is maybe 2 hours for a 2 foot storm. Personally I did exactly that for 20 years on a 1/4 mile drive with a bigger but very slow tractor (think 6 hours for a 2 foot storm...counting bank push back etc.), now have a 6 foot 3 point blower and for $3400 with hydraulic chute on my 3520 I'm in hog heaven.

/ Best implement for snow removal #56  
I bought a HLA mod#2000 7' front plow with hydraulics last season. It has a central pivot and a single 3" dia. piston and crossover valve, to save from damage to the loader's structure, especially the arms. It has adjustable feet and a reversible cutting edge.It's got large trip springs too. It's designed for the application of front, tractor mounted plow, and has distinct advantages over a truck plow mounted on a FEL. I used rear chains, and loaded tires too, with open station. I like it. It's not a cheap rig, but I bought for the long haul, and it does all I ask it to without a wimper.:)

Here are the details: (Hover over text details for close-up pics of item sited). HLA Snow

What are the advantages of it over a truck plow? I want to sell my plow and convert a truck plow for the FEL.

/ Best implement for snow removal #57  
What are the advantages of it over a truck plow? I want to sell my plow and convert a truck plow for the FEL.

99bullitt,
Did you read the description and hover over the lines to see a detail pic for each feature? I ask because it shows how the plow works vs. a conventional truck plow. For instance, one large angled piston instead of two horizontal pistons. And a central pivot point to allow for lateral vs. horizontal float. A crossover valve to reduce shock to the FEL frame. Dual trip springs on each side, etc.
The guys built plows for small to giant sized tractors and loaders- check out their vids and bat wing plows for an idea of how into plowmaking they are invested in design and function.
Hope this answers your question.

/ Best implement for snow removal #58  
99bullitt,
Did you read the description and hover over the lines to see a detail pic for each feature? I ask because it shows how the plow works vs. a conventional truck plow. For instance, one large angled piston instead of two horizontal pistons. And a central pivot point to allow for lateral vs. horizontal float. A crossover valve to reduce shock to the FEL frame. Dual trip springs on each side, etc.
The guys built plows for small to giant sized tractors and loaders- check out their vids and bat wing plows for an idea of how into plowmaking they are invested in design and function.
Hope this answers your question.

That is a nice plow!!
Above my budget, but I doubt I'm dealing with as much snow or drive as you are.

/ Best implement for snow removal #59  
Thanks Roy. Yes it's pricey, but my overarching concern is to not cause any FEL damage from plowing snow. I'm looking at the plow as a long term investment; even if I trade my current tractor the plow will remain the same.:)

/ Best implement for snow removal #60  
I find that the best implement for snow removal is the plow on the front of my truck after the heater warms up that is!:thumbsup: I just can't take the cold since the heart attack dang blood thinners, of course I had it before the heart attack I guess I just don't like the cold period! :drink: