No rot
NO LEAKS

Attachments

• 262565-IM001619.JPG
    262565-IM001619.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 137
   / Best Material for Shop (wood or metal?) #22  
OkeeDon,

I built a 32x48 barn with plans from "barnplans.com" and I am very happy with the results. You mentioned having a local truss shop build them. I looked into it and the price premium here (Mich) was very high. They will probably have to "split" them to make them transportable... I really enjoyed making the trusses - gave my nail gun a workout. We had a couple of days of "group barn building" - lots of fun.

I posted some pictures etc. of my barn last fall - take a look.

Bill

/ Best Material for Shop (wood or metal?) #23  
Found your pictures - and I remember it from the barnplans, gallery, too - it's hard to miss with that wall of windows. I bet it looks spectacular from the inside!

In this part of Florida, which is probably the fastest growing area in the fastest growing state (and the reason why I'm moving to the country /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), the truss companies are so competitive that it's possible to get trusses made for less than I can buy the material. Plus, the barnplans.com plans have a windload of only 80 mph, and I need at least 110 mph, which the truss plant engineer will design as part of the deal. I hadn't thought about the transportation, but I'm sure they have a way to handle it. There are so many houses being built, it sometimes seems like there are more truss trucks than school busses (slight exxageration /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

I'm looking forward to it. I've done a lot of remodeling, but never built an entire building before. I am hoping to bring it in for less than your cost - it will be on a slab, which should save something, and I'll be using galvalume 5V crimp for the roof, which may be less than the architectural shingles. I like the metal look, and will be using it on my Florida Cracker style house, too. I plan to make my own doors and if I have any fixed windows, I'll make them, too (I made a relatively small but pretty nice showroom window for my business a couple of years ago). I probably won't spend as much for labor, unless I get into trouble. I'm hoping to bring it in for around $20K, but I may be kidding myself...I haven't done a takeoff, yet.

/ Best Material for Shop (wood or metal?) #24  
OkeeDon,

Sounds like you have a good plan - and if you can get the local truss guys to build them you will be all set. The Barnplans site referenced a 32" wide barn in NC (near Asheville) that had trusses made and delivered - they split them at the peak - sorta became two scissors trusses. I tried to find some truss firms here that would do it but 1) they wanted too much money and 2) I couldn't trust anyone who couldn't understand a pitch greater than 12/12....

Good luck keeping your costs down. I paid a lot but didn't have the time (besides the truss building) - and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Keep us informed of your progress

Bill