Best Nut or thread locking devices

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #1  

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
This was very interesting. I’ve never seen the last type of lock washer before. It would have been nice if they would have included some of the various thread locking liquids as well.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices
Besides the liquid thread lockers, the nylon locking nuts have always worked the best for me.
I don’t think they tested the thin external tooth lock washer.
1680560159467.jpeg

I think these work very well too.

Well those locking cheicals sure work well. Seems most people don't clean the threads but work nice when clean.
Now that you mention it, I’ve never cleaned new bolts before adding thread locker. I even have a couple of spray bottles of alcohol for cleaning tools, parts etc...

As a matter of fact, I just wiped down a broken drawer before gluing it back together with liquid nails this morning.

Thanks for bringing that up. (y)

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #5  
I've made lock nuts when I had none. Clamp nut in a vise with a flat side up. Firmly put a dimple in it with a sharp punch. Adjust firmness and number of dimples on various sides of the nut based on requirement.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #6  
Now that you mention it, I’ve never cleaned new bolts before adding thread locker. I even have a couple of spray bottles of for cleaning tools, parts etc...

As a matter of fact, I just wiped down a broken drawer before gluing it back together with liquid nails this morning.

Thanks for bringing that up. (y)
Alcohol isn't the best for cleaning anything with real oil. I do keep some in stock but use paint thinner/actone when cleaning bolts for locking.

I remember my dad doing something like that when I was a kid. It seemed like, after torquing a nut, he would take a punch and dimple a thread on the bolt? I can’t remember the exact process for sure. After getting yelled at for not holding the flashlight correctly, it would cause me to loose interest in the project he was working on. :rolleyes:

Alcohol isn't the best for cleaning anything with real oil. I do keep some in stock but use paint thinner/actone when cleaning bolts for locking.
Acetone has always been my favorite cleaner! I can’t bring myself to buy any since the great COVID scare. The price has tripled in my area. Paint thinner takes to long to dry. Alcohol on the other hand, it’s very cheap and abundant.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #9  
Acetone has always been my favorite cleaner! I can’t bring myself to buy any since the great COVID scare. The price has tripled in my area. Alcohol on the other hand, it’s very cheap and abundant.
But Alcohol does not dissolve petrolatum products.

This is becoming an educational thread for me. :unsure: I might need to try and find a better supplier for acetone. I can’t buy bulk, as my metal paint cabinet is full.