Best pipe for sump pump outlet

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
I have 2 houses that I maintain which need to have the sump pump drainage redone, the water ends up getting pumped to the surface and percolating back down into the basement.

We will be running 1/2HP pumps lifting about 6 feet and going ~150 feet horizontally (underground) to a crock which has a 6" output that gravity feeds into a retention pond (no 1/2 HP pumps probbaly arent needed, but they aren't much more for much nicer pumps).
Should I stay with the outlet pipe size (1 1/2") or go up to 2"?
Would black poly pipe with a check valve near the pump be the best setup to use, or would another type of pipe be better?

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #2  
I'd use ABS or PVC, and I think the 1-1/2" outlet size pipe would be adequate for just water.

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #3  
Is it a stright run or there alot of bends in it. How much drop once it leaves the sump leg riser. 150', i would proable use the black poly!:)

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #4  
Keep in mind you don't want the water in the pipe to freeze. If it is deep enough not to freeze the poly will be fine. If not, it is hard to keep it pitched without getting swags in it that will retain water that could freeze between cycles. Another thought. Get a pump that has a float switch that is separate from the pump. The switches made into the pump are always the first thing to fail. A remote float can be replaced easy and you can manually override it if need be , until you can get a replacement.

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #5  
I just went through something similar a couple weeks ago. Particularly to keep from freezing and ponding up and running back into the basement I piped the outside 1-1/2" discharge PVC into a 4" PVC standpipe and ran 4" PVC under a deck, across the lawn, under a driveway and into a pond. But it is 50' and not 150'. Being that large I could pitch everything to keep from water standing in it quite easily. I ran 4" so everything could be gravity even with the force of the sump pump behind it. How much smaller would work without the water backing up into the standpipe I wouldn't know. I picked 4" because it was reasonably priced. That way if something would freeze or plug-up for some reason the water would shoot out the top of the standpipe and the pump wouldn't dead-head without me knowing about it. I don't know why you would need a catch basin. Just run it into the pond.
I has been working great so far in this wet spring. :)

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet
The pond is on the other side of the parking lot and quite a ways away. Thus the catch basin is the best option for this situation.

I will have to see if it can be sloped to drain, not sure that would be possible given the lay of the land, but it would be better.
Time to rent a transit for the day.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #7  
Particularly to keep from freezing and ponding up and running back into the basement I piped the outside 1-1/2" discharge PVC into a 4" PVC standpipe and ran 4" PVC under a deck, across the lawn, under a driveway and into a pond.

This is the way it should be, just come thru the wall with the 1.5" and go underground with 4". if you live in an area of deep frost, the pipe should be below frost line. But if you don't go below frost line you definitely have to have pitch so it drains out, no guarantee it wont freeze, but there is a better chance.

The pond is on the other side of the parking lot and quite a ways away. Thus the catch basin is the best option for this situation.

I will have to see if it can be sloped to drain, not sure that would be possible given the lay of the land, but it would be better.
Time to rent a transit for the day.

Thanks

Aaron Z

If water stays in a shallow pipe in the winter it will freeze. always leave an outflow outside the foundation, so if anything freezes the water can still be pumped out. this can be done just by leaving a space between the 1.5 and 4 inch pipe. The 1.5 can be 4 inches above the 4' pipe, at least in the winter, leave it set up like that.

I use 1.5 PVC with schd 40 fittings. the pipe is rated schd 40 but the regular DWV fittings are not, it's not because of pressure but the 40 fittings have a longer bell to glue the pipe in.

Use a check valve just above the floor to prevent vapor lock. and bring the pipe to the wall with 2 45's and clip it to the wall to keep everything solid and prevent the pump from moving.

That's how I do it, but 99% of the pumps I install just have a short stub out of the house on the down grade side. 3-4 feet out on the down hill side and no water recycles.

JB.

Attachments

• DSC04349.jpg
    DSC04349.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 3,437
  • DSCN0805.JPG
    DSCN0805.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 7,194
   / Best pipe for sump pump outlet #8  
That's how I do it, but 99% of the pumps I install just have a short stub out of the house on the down grade side. 3-4 feet out on the down hill side and no water recycles.

JB.

JB do you have any pictures of the outside of the house? Is the pipe stubbed then a 4" run started 4" away below frost depth?

Thanks

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #9  
I just went through something similar a couple weeks ago. Particularly to keep from freezing and ponding up and running back into the basement I piped the outside 1-1/2" discharge PVC into a 4" PVC standpipe and ran 4" PVC under a deck, across the lawn, under a driveway and into a pond. But it is 50' and not 150'. ....

+1 I just laid a line myself on the new house. 2" for the first 10' then 50' of 4". Extra slope on the last 10' of the 4" since that is where the frost lift occurs.

/ Best pipe for sump pump outlet #10  
JB do you have any pictures of the outside of the house? Is the pipe stubbed then a 4" run started 4" away below frost depth?

Thanks

On mine I came out of the house and then a 90 deg down with a 1-1/2 elbow. This elbow pointed directly into a 4" standpipe which is 2" away from the house, about. Four to five inches below the surface of the ground I put a 90 deg elbow and ran the pipe toward the pond.

Freezing? My pump doesn't run when it gets really cold because the water table must drop. If it would run, I figured the pipe would drain out anyway becaused it's pitched and smooth. Some areas of the country might be different. The 4" pipe drops in elevation from 6" below surface to 18" or so at the discharge about 40-50' away. I didn't hook the 1-1'2" elbow directly to the 4" just in case it would get plugged for some reason. Then I would be able to see the spray. So far so good.

Last edited: