Best places to secure a 8N for Transport

/ Best places to secure a 8N for Transport #1  

KDT64

Hello All, this is my first tractor so I am new to them. It's also my first time moving something this big, where is the best point to secure them and do as little scratching as possible? It has no front Grill Guard. Also how many load binders should I use? Thanks

/ Best places to secure a 8N for Transport #2  
most DOT will want 4 chains and binders, although I sometimes use 2 chains without binders, hook them on 1 end and drive until they are tight then use binders on the other 2 chains. I hook them directly around the axles. Use some short straps if you are concerned about the paint.

/ Best places to secure a 8N for Transport #3  
Hello All, this is my first tractor so I am new to them. It's also my first time moving something this big, where is the best point to secure them and do as little scratching as possible? It has no front Grill Guard. Also how many load binders should I use? Thanks

i pretty much only own fords.. here's what I've found that works for me.

16' trailer minimum for just the tractor.. if you have implements.. get a longer traielr.

at the rear, use 2 2" ratchet straps. go fromthe back of the trailer around the rear axles, do NOT pin the brake rod agaist the axle, then go back to the rar of the trailer.

for the front, with no bumper, do the same.

i also like a side do side strap over the rear of the trans.

if you have implements, they will each need at least one tiedown.. that includes loaders.

as was said.. dot ( if you are concerned with dot regs ) is gonna want a strap at each corner, plus 1 per implement.. in general 1 tie down +1 per 10' of load if you have a long load.

no implements suspended by hyds, and no engines running.

I also like to set the brakes and leave in gear, fuel off and key in pocket.

hit the road and at first stop after driving 15-20m check binders or straps to see if anything settled or moved... past that.. probably good to go.

remember to secure your rams if they are detachable. I usually use my ramps as wheel choks..

have some rear support for your trailer to load / unlaod so the trailer rear doesn't mash down and lift truck rear up..

soundguy

/ Best places to secure a 8N for Transport #4  
We do this topic a lot here (-:
There seems to be a GENERAL consensus that for loads under 10,000 lbs 2 chains are OK, but over 10K you need 4.
There is discussion elsewhere on whether you must secure the wheels, axles, or frame.
Varies by State, check with yours and any you pass through.

For scratch avoidance, if it is THAT perfect, it might be worth buying some lengths of thick wall plastic hose to thread the chains through.
At a guess if you are passing chain over the axles 3ft or 4ft long and 1/8 inch thick wall should do it for very little cost.

/ Best places to secure a 8N for Transport #5  
used fire hose makes a good chain sleeve too

soundguy

/ Best places to secure a 8N for Transport #6  
I have used this setup for many years and many miles. Philip.

Attachments

• TRAILER14.jpg
    TRAILER14.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,858
  • TRAILER15.jpg
    TRAILER15.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,457
  • TRAILER13.jpg
    TRAILER13.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • TRAILER12.jpg
    TRAILER12.jpg