Best portable sodering iron / pencil

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #11  

Similar, but I think mine is 200w or so on the high setting. It heats up in about 5 seconds on high, but it gets hot enough to melt insulation quickly after that. I usually get the iron melting solder on high, then use the low setting for normal 20g - 16g wiring.
I also solder crimp connections followed by heat shrink tubing... makes for a neat and secure job. Where I vary from standard connections is when joining 2 wires together. I slip the heat shrink on, and neatly "jam" stranded wire together and solder them together. Supposed to have a good mecanical connection prior to soldering, but I have not had one fail yet.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #12  
Butane all the way for me. I can take it anywhere. I may have the same one. Got mine at radio shack 10 yeasts ago as well.

Yep, when I bought mine from Radio Shack, it also came with a torch tip, perfect for heating shrink wrap, or self sealing crimp connectors.

Here's a pic of one that's identical to mine, along with a pic of the torch tip. From a different company, but I'm sure ours were jus rebadged anyhow.

Attachments

• image-3250534949.jpg
    image-3250534949.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1564222209.jpg
    image-1564222209.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 59
   / Best portable sodering iron / pencil #13  
The adjustable models are usually not a constant temperature unit, they will hold that temp in free air, but when placed against something they will drop in temp as there usually (at least on the cheap ones) is no feedback control. If that is acceptable, then go for it. I personally prefer the ones that have the thermo-magnetic feedback that cycles the element so that when you touch something and it starts sinking temp to the device, the element kicks on @100% to maintain tip temp. I've done electronic board work for 40 years and have 3 different sizes for different jobs, as not one size fits all but the Weller that others recommend is a good choice. Mine are all self contained, but I also have a Weller 'station' that is analog feedback for that critical work and it's my bench go-to.
Stay away from a 'gun' for circuit work, they are OK (and I've got 2 or 3 of them) for wire splicing, terminal work, etc, but the electro-magnetic induction of the current in the tip can destroy or degrade some sensitive electronic devices and you'll never know it happened until it won't work.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil
Thanks folks. I think I can waite for the black Friday sales. Probably go with a Weller station for inside and one of the butane touches for outside work. Thanks

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil
While at Home Depot today I picked up a Weller soldering gun off the clearance table. Was $12.87 or something like that. Its the discontinued 8200kps model. The replacement is the 9400 pks. It will work for what I need right now. They were putting out all the Christmas display discounted goodies. If I cant repair my angle grinder Ill go back and get the deal on the Makieta ones. Its a two pack for $89 something. I also picked up a selection of colored wiring for my project so I don't mess up. I had to behave myself on all the great stocking stuffer deals - you know drill bits, socket sets, saw blades, drills, flash lights, pliers sets, etc. Ill be putting together a tool box for the daughter - she needs one for all her little projects.

There was also a huge set of bits I had not seen before. It was a two sided large case of all sorts and types and sizes (1/4 inch drive), half of which I have never heard of before. Like torx, star, hex head, square head , etc

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #17  
It's pretty hard to beat the Weller. nice lil case that you can fill up with multiple solder size and flavor, and still have room for some paste or what have you.
I just got done using mine under the dash of Toyota T100 pickup and was glad I had it to use.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #18  
While at Home Depot today I picked up a Weller soldering gun off the clearance table. Was $12.87 or something like that. Its the discontinued 8200kps model. The replacement is the 9400 pks. It will work for what I need right now. They were putting out all the Christmas display discounted goodies. If I cant repair my angle grinder Ill go back and get the deal on the Makieta ones. Its a two pack for $89 something. I also picked up a selection of colored wiring for my project so I don't mess up. I had to behave myself on all the great stocking stuffer deals - you know drill bits, socket sets, saw blades, drills, flash lights, pliers sets, etc. Ill be putting together a tool box for the daughter - she needs one for all her little projects.

There was also a huge set of bits I had not seen before. It was a two sided large case of all sorts and types and sizes (1/4 inch drive), half of which I have never heard of before. Like torx, star, hex head, square head , etc

I have the same one, only an older version of it. I think someone gave it to me used, probably 35 years ago, and it still works well. The label on the plastic box says "Guaranteed For One Year".

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #19  
The clear winner for soldering outside is the butane powered Master Appliance Ultratorch also sold as the Weller Pyropen. Have used them for the last 25 years in any weather. http://www.masterappliance.com/products/heat-tool-products-butane-products/ultratorch-butane-powered-soldering-iron-heat-t/ David

Looks like a sweet iron. But for that price tag, I'll stick with my $25 RadioShack unit. It has yet to fail me, and has done all I needed it to. If I needed it to make a living, I'd invest in a PyroPen.

Besides, I mostly make crimps out "in the field," good self sealing crimp connectors are pretty awesome.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #20  
Looks like a sweet iron. But for that price tag, I'll stick with my $25 RadioShack unit. It has yet to fail me, and has done all I needed it to. If I needed it to make a living, I'd invest in a PyroPen.

Besides, I mostly make crimps out "in the field," good self sealing crimp connectors are pretty awesome.

Usually pay less then $20 at the Ham Radio swap meets, nobody knows or wants to learn how to solder any more they all want to plug and play and are essentially appliance operators now.

I make all my cables for radio use and I solder everything that is outside and heat shrink it.

David