Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders)

/ Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders)
Can't believe it's been two years since I gave thought to splitting up the boulders on my property. Been sidetracked with other responsibilities. Now I'm ready to start splitting. I've been looking at drills, mainly Bocsh, DeWalt and Milwaukee. What do the rock splitters here recommend? SDS-Plus vs. SDS-Max. At Home Desperate and Lowes I've seen plenty of SDSplus bits but no SDSMax bits. It's my understanding that the Max are the stronger - right?

I've been considering the three below:
Bosch 11240, 10 amps, impact energy 5.2ft.-lbs.
Dewalt D25501K, 12 amps, impact energy 8ft.-lbs.
Milwaukee 5317-21, 10.5 amps, impact energy 5.5 ft.-lbs.

All three are priced between $390 and $430 with the Dewalt being the most expensive but with 50% more impact energy. All three are also 1-9/16" models. Has anyone used any of the three or has a better suggestion on make/model?

I know this question will open up a Chevy vs. Ford type of war but which drill seems to be a favorite. I have a bunch of large boulders (some VW size) to split and will make use of the split rock around my property and will try selling as slabs and steps etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Well.... when I said large (VW size) I mean big. Here are some pics:
IMG_0388.jpg The smaller ones up to 3' x 4'
IMG_0389.jpg The big uns 4' x 6' up to car size.

Some are bigger as they are still down in the ground. I rented a skip loader to work some of them out of the ground and move them around.

Hope the pics are viewable.

There are other larger ones to split. I don't want to just break them up I want to split them into slabs for steps and landscape slabs. I've seen it done on youtube with rotary hammers and hammer drills with the use of feathers and wedges. I was just wondering which rotary hammers seem to drill granit best was well as hold up to the chore. There's lots of rock on my property. I spent over $1,000.00 blasting on the property in order to get my foundation and septic in 33 years ago. Not worried about the time. Just thought that if I'm splitting them up I might as well get some use out of them and possibly sell some of them as well. The flat landers in the area seem to love rock cus they ain't got none down there in the dirt!

The suggestion of renting to see how different brands work is a great idea! I'll be checking out what the local orange box has to rent.

Hilti and a good handful of wedges & feathers.

1/2" Wedges and Shims Pkg of 5 Sets:Amazon:Home Improvement

Link for information only - not recommending this brand or size.

They (Trow and Holden) were the ones I was considering for the feather and wedges. I'll probable need between 15 and 20 sets as 4"-5" spacing seems to do the trick. Once I get going I'll post results and pics.

Yup, I've been studying up on youTube and I can see its a piece of cake - noooo problemo! Check this out:
Hand made cobblestone cut and Portuguese pavement laying techniques Roc2c - YouTube

Gawd they make it look so dang easy! It's gonna be interesting. Of course mine is granite and and I just want to get step and slab sizes out of the rocks. It'll be more like this stuff:

Splitting Stone with Feather and Wedge - YouTube
&
Rock splitting - YouTube

Soooo we'll see...

/ Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders) #13  
Will granite split into slabs or will it just make random-shaped chunks starting from your line of holes?

Bruce

/ Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders) #14  
I bought a Bosch SDS+ last year and it was not big enough for what I needed. Then I bought a Bosch SDS MAX 1-5/8 and it was a much more powerful tool. I drill 1", 3/4", and 5/8" holes and split with feathers and wedges of same size as drill holes.

Got the wedges and feathers from Trow & Holden, good quality and prompt shipping. I have 10 of each size. The closer you space the holes, the better the split. If you have a long split line you can alternate sizes, even drill deeper. Depending on the stone, you may want to drill with a 12 inch bit, some split fine with 6 inch bits, you will get to know the variables when you split a lot of stone.

Use 4 point cross bits with carbide tips, anything less just aint gonna do the job. (I started with the 2 point bits from HD and Lowes and they just rub the stone and wear out in 4 holes).

My best method is to drill for 1 or 2 hours, then split what I drilled. Change of pace is good. I then use the smaller drill for secondary cuts and splits. You might find a good carbide tracing chisel to be handy too, cuts nice edges to trim stone.

I bought a Bosch SDS+ last year and it was not big enough for what I needed. Then I bought a Bosch SDS MAX 1-5/8 and it was a much more powerful tool. I drill 1", 3/4", and 5/8" holes and split with feathers and wedges of same size as drill holes.

Got the wedges and feathers from Trow & Holden, good quality and prompt shipping. I have 10 of each size. The closer you space the holes, the better the split. If you have a long split line you can alternate sizes, even drill deeper. Depending on the stone, you may want to drill with a 12 inch bit, some split fine with 6 inch bits, you will get to know the variables when you split a lot of stone.

Use 4 point cross bits with carbide tips, anything less just aint gonna do the job. (I started with the 2 point bits from HD and Lowes and they just rub the stone and wear out in 4 holes).

My best method is to drill for 1 or 2 hours, then split what I drilled. Change of pace is good. I then use the smaller drill for secondary cuts and splits. You might find a good carbide tracing chisel to be handy too, cuts nice edges to trim stone.

I've come to the conclusion that what you're saying is pretty accurate. Go with the SDS MAX. A friend has a saying that's spot on when buying tools/equipment. Cry once (about the price) and be done with it. Rather than trying to save money by going with cheaper tools. I also try to buy one or two steps above what I think I'll need. It's proven to be a good rule. As you said a tracing tool seems the way to go also as well as a chipper to clean up the edges and possibly remove the remnants of the holes on the cut face although the halfround holes do add a nice rustic look.

Will granite split into slabs or will it just make random-shaped chunks starting from your line of holes?

Bruce

bcp I've never split any granite but it seems from what I've gathered that keeping your holes close together, scoring a line between the holes across the top and down both sides and giving the granite time to fine it's own way is the way to go. Also trying to use natural faults in the rock and not trying to slice off too narrow a piece. Several videos on youtube talk about trying to split the rock in halves and then split those in halves. In other words a 4' thick rock is split into two 2' thick pieces then those are split into 1' slabs. One video also talked about reading the grain (as in wood) of the rock and splitting with the grain. He said it was hard to see and takes time to develope that ability. He sure was right. I can't see any grain in any of the boulders on my property. Time will tell!

/ Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders) #17  
The drills you list are way too small, it would be like digging the panama canal with a BX 25 D possible but slow. You need a compressor 100-150 cfm and a small stoper drill (small jack leg style drill) with a collaring bit about a foot long drilling a 1 3/8 hole and a longer bit about 4 ft long for the big rocks. Forget about feathers and wedges you need to be able to read the grain of the rock to use these effectively. The easiest way to split them is with chemical rock spliter, mix part a and part b pour it in the drill hole and it will expand and break the rock. Takes a little longer than exposives but considerably safer and less hassle.

/ Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders) #18  
I can't say I've used hilti but I think they are a cut above the rest.

I used kango as an apprentice, when a piece of work those things are, p o s.

My brand of choice is Bosch. They also have a wildbore series of bits. I have a 2 1/2" one that has been amazing. Expensive though, I think the msrp is $400, i paid around $200 shipped on ebay. It cuts my drilling time 3 fold over other bit. Truly amazing, you actually see the bit advancing. I don't know if they are rated granite though.

/ Best rotary hammer (re-visit to splitting boulders) #19  
Which one do you recommend and why
Milwaukee 5317-21 or DeWalt D25501k