Buying Advice Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes

/ Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes
Because I've never driven a 322T I looked up the product. Here is the link

Husqvarna Riders R 322T AWD

In looking at the information, I am confused why this would be a good unit in orchards for the following reasons:

1. The unit certainly is unique - but a bit misleading. It says its all wheel drive - but only 4 of the 6 wheels are powered from what I can see while the front wheels are fixed caster wheels . In addition - only 4 of the 6 wheels have tread or some surface that can provide traction. It would seem a problem on sidehills which every orchard I've ever walked or been in, has.

2. Its maximum cutting height is 3 inches and its minimum cutting height is 1 inch. These are golf course and "park" type machines. On hills, cutting grass takes torque because the engine is both cutting grass and simultaneously clawing its way upward against gravity; but if you are trying to cut normal growth grasses which easily are going to be much taller than 3 inches - you will have considerably greater drag on the engine if the grass is 5 or 6 inches tall and cutting it down to 3 inches or lower.

3. This unit claims it works well in wet or on slopes. Yet the front of the unit appears to be designed for smooth ground - again like golf courses or parks would offer.

4. "All Wheel drive" = 4 wheel drive in this unit. However the 4 wheels are very close together being all positioned in the back of the unit. I can imagine on a flat terrain that the 4 wheels driving in a straight line would have very good traction. However in non-level terrain with wheels so close together - needed turning activities under those conditions could have some unique handling issues because all the traction (tires and wheels) and drive efforts and steering efforts are located in a relatively small wheelbase area.

This unit might be just dandy - but I see no grab handles, no rops, and no sense of sidehill handling or being able to "pull straight" - only "push straight". Like I say, it would be a neat unit to test drive on my flat lawn areas or even hesitatingly test going straight up and down one of my hills. But personally, I'd not feel confident on 1/3rd to 1/2 of my normal cutting areas.

just my humble opinion

Hmmm, you make a good point Axlehub. I guess I'll need to go out and test some more different models. The problem I'm having is I've asked 20 different people/dealers and get 20 different answers that there's are the best. I have yet to find any real testing conditions usually flat open space.

/ Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes #12  
It will be exceedingly difficult to find anything that will do all you mention, especially in that budget and with a front end loader (FEL). I have some steep slopes to mow, and ran across http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/husqvarna/376859-new-owner-limited-distribution-husq.html just as the CFO of our operation was totally fed up with our Deere L130. It's a great mower, and climbs hills very, very well. It will get into much smaller spaces than my tractor, which will handle the heavy lifting. You might want to own one and rent a tractor as needed, or hire out the big stuff.

/ Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes #13  
   / Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes #14  
I have a mower and tractor.
Older GT2454T husqvarna for mowing and a JD tractor with FEL for work.

In the 5k budget you will be hard pressed to find two machines in your price range, used always goes further than new.

IMG_7375.JPG
That's my neighbors hill I cut for them, there elderly and I wouldn't feel comfortable with them cutting it, they stopped cutting it 5 years ago, a few years before I bought my place I cut all the brush down and cut it byweekly for them.

Last edited:
Thanks Teachu2. I looked around for the Husqvarna r322dxls but it seems to be not available anymore. It seems the Husgvarna gives you a lot for the money.

Someone else suggest to get a mower that can pull a cart then rent for anything bigger or hire out. I think for my price range thats probably the best idea. thanks for you input.

That slope looks about what I'm going go mow.

/ Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes #18  
IMG_20170414_172933484.jpg

/ Best small tractor or garden tractor for slopes #19  
The Husqvarna GT48DXLS gives you a strong frame, a mid-grade 24hp Kawasaki engine, a K66 transaxle with locking differential (climbs hills very well), and a fabricated 48" deck for $2999 MSRP. The John Deere x570 gives you a strong frame, a slightly upgraded Kawasaki 24hp engine, a K72 transaxle with locking differential, and a stamped steel 48" deck for $5999. Neither of these machines are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or WalMart. The differences between the $2000 big-box store Husqvarna and the $3000 dealer-only model I listed are substantial, especially in the frame strength and transaxle.

Any one have experience with a Farmall Cub Lowboy Tractor, watched some videos and read some points. I"m not sure how it would handle a hill/slope if you mowed up and down and not side to side. I think any mowing I'm going to do will be up and down until I get to the top of the hill.