Best subcompact for the money

/ Best subcompact for the money #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
I'm tired of buying riding lawn mowers that don't last because they are built cheap and still cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking of buying a subcompact tractor to mow the property and use it for light tractor work.

What are the best ones for this purpose and for the best bang for the buck?

/ Best subcompact for the money #2  
Go test run several brands from dealers in your area. And the one that you like the best and fits yours needs is the best bank for the buck.

/ Best subcompact for the money #4  
What features or attachments do you want in subcompact? Loader, 3 point, PTO rear and or mid for mower deck, snow removal equipment.

This will also help identify brands and or models.

/ Best subcompact for the money
Why not a Zero Turn? You already have a tractor. A ZT will run circles around any SCUT for mowing. They are amazing at it. Just make sure you consider a prosumer or near commercial grade machine.
I can't use a ZT. I have some steep hills to mow that require good traction.

/ Best subcompact for the money #6  
I have some 30 degree hillsides. I haven't found any inexpensive solutions.

/ Best subcompact for the money #8  
Are you in middle or east Tn? What do you mean by steep as that is a relative term. Put some chains on your back tires and lean into the hill. There are plenty of guides and videos on the internet to give you pointers on how to mow on a hill. Don't mow when the grass is wet, keep your front wheels up hill of your back wheels, back up to turn around, start at the top of the hill.

/ Best subcompact for the money #9  
If you have steep hills , there is nothing better than either a Ventrac, Steiner or the Bobcat AT450. They are articulating and oscillating and if you get dual wheels they are extremely safe. They wont do everything a traditional tractor will do but they do hillside mowing better than anything.

/ Best subcompact for the money #10  
Got a Kioti CS2520 to try out and see if it would make a good just mowing tractor. Had it for a year and so far, pleased with it. It will climb very steep hills; I mean just ridiculously steep hills in 4wd. I felt if I wasn't careful, I would fall over backwards. I do mostly all my mowing in just 2wd. Non loaded turf tires. Has the two-pedal hydro like JD, which just spoils you. I just don't like the Kubota treadle pedal. Plus, the radiator is in the front of the tractor like the big boys. I've got a JD X750 which I mow with also and I am always cleaning the screen, sometimes every 20 minutes which slows me down always blowing out the screen and entire under hood of the machine with my electric leaf blower. it's worst the dryer it is. The JD and the Kubota subcompacts have the radiator up by the operator's station. I'm done with that arrangement. I've mower for 4 hours straight, lift hood on the Kioti and there is some debris there, but mostly nothing. Of concern I blow it out after each mowing by habit, and just good maintenance practice. The JD subcompact 1026R had an aluminum rear axle I believe. When I went to look at the Kioti I took a magnet and first thing I did was see if it stuck to the rear axle. it did. The entire tractor is built like a WWII German Tiger Panzer Tank. Kubota and JD will not deal none whatsoever, this is the price, do you want the tractor or not. The JD salesperson was just not interested in selling a tractor, and acted as if I was bothering him. He did have that "Joba the Hut" look to him also. I finished talking to the Kioti salesperson and he said, "I'm going to give you another $300 dollars off just for all I learned from you for the last 2 hours talking with you". I told him before the extra discount he should point out these differences between JD, Kubota, and Kioti. Didn't find out till ownership about having the radiator in front and what an asset that is. I would never take a zero turn up some of the hills I mowed with this little Kioti. I mowed where I mostly likely should not have just to see what the little fellow could do, and "Little K" ate it all up and wanted more. Zero turns are very limited in my opinion, most have no 4wd, and mowing is about all they can do. You also always have to have your hands on the steering handles, or no forward motion. With the Kioti, one hand on the wheel, foot on forward pedal, and free hand to deflect branches sometimes. I started out with looking at the CS2210, but after talking to the salesperson, he up graded me to the CS2520 with 60" mower deck, turf tires, spare set of mower blades, complete filter set for another $1K, tax included. Started out being $3K extra. Plus, you have a 3 pt hitch. All calculated in I got a 23% discount off of MSRP. I did not get a loader with it. Didn't want it. So if you already got the NX5010, check out "Little K". Kioti does copy some positive things from other tractors. Happy hunting.

Last edited: