Best tool to cut along a fence row?

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #1  

Kubota Dave

Tractor
B2650 HSD
is a weed eater the best tool to cut along a fence row? This fence is about a mile long.

The weed eater has a hard time with the thick heavy weeds and over time my arm gets tired. I have just your average string weed eater. There is also bobwire laying on the ground in the weeds.

It is not my fence but whoever uses the field for cows has never done any kind of repair to it.

1.jpg

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #2  
Would be easier to cut if you killed it with herbicide first or at least waited until it turned brown over the winter.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #3  
is a weed eater the best tool to cut along a fence row? This fence is about a mile long.

The weed eater has a hard time with the thick heavy weeds and over time my arm gets tired. I have just your average string weed eater. There is also bobwire laying on the ground in the weeds.

It is not my fence but whoever uses the field for cows has never done any kind of repair to it.

View attachment 820369
Put a saw blade on it.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #4  
Hesitant to say to use a metal blade for fear of cutting through the fence, but it would help to cut down some of that before getting right up to the fence itself.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #5  
After getting the owner's permission, spray along the fence line with 2-4d herbicide. Herbicides are most effective when weeds are growing vigorously.

There are stronger herbicides which will keep down weeds for 3-4 years. Shop Tractor Supply Co.

Last edited:
   / Best tool to cut along a fence row? #6  
Oops on my part, but why are you cutting the weeds along someone else's property? And I wouldn't spray anything that might injure someone else's cows.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #7  
Oops on my part, but why are you cutting the weeds along someone else's property? And I wouldn't spray anything that might injure someone else's cows.
Yeah, those chemicals move when it rains. Gets in the grass that the cows eat. Then you get all that manure to put on your garden, and it dies. I'm not a chemical fan.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #8  
A side trim mower or inter row cutting disc works wonders in those cases. Either mounted behind a brush cutter or flail mower or even with just its own frame to mount directly on the 3 pt.

1694294027683.png

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row?

Long story short the property is mine. They rent the field next to my road. They just never do upkeep on the fence leaving the old one lay there in the weeds at least the bottom wire. I have never sprayed it because of the cows. It has been rented to many deferent people since the owner passed.

I have used a bush hog but there is a small ditch in parts that the tractor will slide into the fence.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #10  
Remove old barbed wire from fence area. Cut it into 6 ft lengths and make a bundle for recycling. Use a cordless hedge trimmer for the initial cleanup. After that use your string trimmer a couple of times a year so it stays manageable. If you don't own both sides ask for permission to clean up the other side.