Best tool to cut along a fence row?

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #11  
Some hedge trimmer attachments like this one will also fit on weedwackers that accept attachments. Amazon.com
Btrimmers&qid=1694298288&sprefix=hedge%2Btrimmer%2Battachment%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-6&th=1
cu

The cutter head can be angled to follow the ground contour. Have wondered if I couldn't clamp my cordless weedwacker with the hedge trimmer attachment to my tractor FEL to trim near my fence rows and a creek bank that is a pain to keep cut. I think the problem would be if I ran into a small sapling and bent the shaft.

I have tried this hedge trimmer on briars and it does a respectable job, especially since it doesn't throw debris like a string cutting head. But it will cut through fence wire if you get too close to a fence.

It does get tiresome.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #12  
I trim along some fences and my driveway by strapping an old heavy push string trimmer to the side of my FEL, firing it up and simply driving slowly letting the trimmer do the work. It handles hitting wires, rocks and such pretty well. I wouldn't do it in my yard, but it works in the field.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #13  
A side trim mower or inter row cutting disc works wonders in those cases. Either mounted behind a brush cutter or flail mower or even with just its own frame to mount directly on the 3 pt.

View attachment 820411

That would be awesome, but it doesn’t look cheap. If the fence row isn’t too long, I was going to recommend a walk behind wheeled string trimmer. I have this one and use it for that purpose:

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #14  
That would be awesome, but it doesn’t look cheap. If the fence row isn’t too long, I was going to recommend a walk behind wheeled string trimmer. I have this one and use it for that purpose:

Couldn't open that link but searching other places looks like that ECHO is in the $1000 range?

The side trim mower attachment I showed costs €1076 from Deleks. It mounts on a rotary cutter or flail mower and it's powered of the remotes.

The OP mentioned 1 mile long fence, not something I would be interested in doing by hand.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #15  
Why do you feel you need to trim it ? Why not just let it grow naturally ?

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #16  
Why do you feel you need to trim it ? Why not just let it grow naturally ?
I guess you don't mow your yard. Around here if land isn't kept clean, in a few years you'll need to use a chain saw to cut the trees growing into the fence in order to replace the fence.

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #17  
Offset flail mower.... maybe a sickle mower if you can put up with the maintenance. But would still have to use a string trimmer of some kind to cut up to the fence. By the time you do all that, maybe a tractor mounted string trimmer starts to make sense to maintain a mile of fence?

/ Best tool to cut along a fence row? #18  
Plus 1 on removing wire off ground. One way or another. I just walked my 600 ft rear fence with my little cordless B&D hedge trimmer. Cut along the bottom of the fence and its 22 inches long so I could get a foot on the far side of the fence. Actually quicker than the weedwacker as it would cut almost anything in one pass and not get jammed up like the string trimmer. And one little 20v 1.5ahr battery wore me out