Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs?

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs?
AlanB said:
Well, you know it, so there probably is not much more to say, :( At some point though, if you do not bid in enough to cover the cost of the equipment, you won't have it to do any more work with. I know you have probably thought that one through. Anyway, I know the feeling, we keep getting asked to do irrigation, but at this point, without hiring more labor, we cannot do what we already have on the books, so we keep resisting the temptation. It always seems that those jobs that you did not get, would have gone perfect, but the reality is often different.
Ouch! A powerful statement that last one. :eek: And yes, we are generally talking the more physically (and sometimes legally) risky jobs here.

AlanB said:
All the tracked SS I have seen have been quite an investment, and honestly, if I did not have enough work coming in to where I was making money on top of paying the note on it, I would not bother. I would go wheeled, with add on tracks, but that may not cover the niche you are trying to hit.
Yeah, I hear you but that just doesn't cut it... unless maybe you are talking about those expensive track system conversion kits. The idea would be to get a true rubber-tracked machine with a very low CG and lots of stability for work in highly sloped areas where my tractor cannot safely go.

AlanB said:
I would figure out the cost lets say 25k for a used unit, then finance charges etc. and what the loan would be etc. Lets say they put you in one for $750 a month. I am thinking you could rent that machine at $200 a day (I do not know your area but you could here) So you would need to work that machine 4 days a month to start to come out ahead.
Actually, rental rates start at $225 per day for a beat-up old RC-30 and go up from there. The smaller CATs start at $300 per day. :eek:

AlanB said:
Honestly, are you turning down bids of 4 man days a month that one of those machines would let you get? And that would have to be EVERY month. Not trying to be the sour grape, but sometimes an outside view helps look at things clearer.
I appreciate that Alan. It is not an easy decision. It would have to be the right machine at the right price... no easy task. That's why I am here asking for input from you folks in the know. I did see a smaller decent used machine recently go for ~$17K. I'd have to be in that price range or it would probably never break even. :eek: Reality sucks. :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #12  
I think that I probably have about 400-500 hours left on the tracks, and I've replace a few idlers since I've owned the machine. Another thing that I've done is removed all of the wheels at 1,000 hours and repacked the bearings (much like a boat trailer). I can't imagine having to replace the entire undercarriage though..tracks now and again, and an idler every now and again. I know that the RC50 sells new for around $34K and I imagine you could probably get a used one with around 500-1000 hours for around $25K. The biggest driver for me buying the ASV was the fact that it was much faster, much more comfortable, narrower, lighter, and did much less damage on the jobs that I tend to bid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and I have thought about trading in my S220 and getting an RC-30. If I had the opportunity I'd also get a bigger one, but my budget doesn't support it. I would recommend that you demo one from your local dealer to see how it performs in the application you intend to use it in. Good luck.

Digdeep said:
I think that I probably have about 400-500 hours left on the tracks, and I've replace a few idlers since I've owned the machine. Another thing that I've done is removed all of the wheels at 1,000 hours and repacked the bearings (much like a boat trailer). I can't imagine having to replace the entire undercarriage though..tracks now and again, and an idler every now and again. I know that the RC50 sells new for around $34K and I imagine you could probably get a used one with around 500-1000 hours for around $25K. The biggest driver for me buying the ASV was the fact that it was much faster, much more comfortable, narrower, lighter, and did much less damage on the jobs that I tend to bid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and I have thought about trading in my S220 and getting an RC-30. If I had the opportunity I'd also get a bigger one, but my budget doesn't support it. I would recommend that you demo one from your local dealer to see how it performs in the application you intend to use it in. Good luck.
Your assessment (and Alan's) that a decent used machine goes for about $25K is pretty accurate... at least if talking a used equipment dealer's price. Auctions? Who knows? Private parties? Anyone's guess!

Had a guy who owned an RC-50 tell me he went through three undercarriages in ~2,400 hours of use. Must admit... that scared the heck out of me. I was also told that the RC-30 may be too small and unstable for the kinds of jobs I was considering... and that was told to me by the guy that rents them! :rolleyes: He recommended an RC-50 or 60... but he doesn't rent them... sales only! :cool:

Dougster

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #14  
Dougster said:
Understood about the damage those tracks can do with a single turn! Interesting what you are saying about the ASV's tracks. Is that ALL ASV tracks? Or just some? I was told by one former ASV RC-50 owner (now a CAT 277 owner) that ASV machines have lots of undercarriage problems... true or false? :confused:

Dougster

When I was looking at ASV, they had an optional track for turf work. It was green in color and from the picture, appeared to have little or no tread. It also looked like the sides of the tracks were beveled so as they slid sideways in a turn, the beveled edge would be less likely to dig. (That's from memory after 4 yrs so ....) Anyway, like most things, you can't have it both ways so while they may be turf friendly, they won't have the traction of a conventional treaded track. I was all set to by the RC50 but the dealer also rented them and when I looked the rental units over, a lot of the bogie wheels had deep grooves worn in them. The dealer was pretty upfront for a dealer and said you have to be careful where you run these or those wheels will have to be replaced even more often than normal. He called them a "maintenance item". 4 years ago they were $40/each plus labor and there were a bunch of them.

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #15  
"I was told by one former ASV RC-50 owner (now a CAT 277 owner) that ASV machines have lots of undercarriage problems... true or false?"

Well, since ASV manufactures Cats track system I find that a funny statement. Oh well, some people.

Maka

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #16  
Digdeep said:

How often are you rotating the tracks themselves? Seems that some people do it a lot and others, well.......

As has been posted before, the operator and maintainer can be the worst thing going for any machine.

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #17  
Dougster said:
Had a guy who owned an RC-50 tell me he went through three undercarriages in ~2,400 hours of use. Must admit... that scared the heck out of me. I was also told that the RC-30 may be too small and unstable for the kinds of jobs I was considering... and that was told to me by the guy that rents them! :rolleyes: He recommended an RC-50 or 60... but he doesn't rent them... sales only! :cool:

Dougster
Did you read this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/94884-track-loader-choose.html

I recently sold my -60 to get a new rc-100. At the time of sale, the hour meter had 2243 hours with the original tracks and not very many idler/bogey wheel replacements.

(IMO) you have to use 3 or 4 point turns . Any type of zero turn will damage the turf, and (IMO) shortens track and undercarriage life.

My machines get run hard, but never put away dirty. They are cleaned and pressure washed daily. Special attention needs to be added when it's below freezing, cause if left wet, the tracks may freeze to the ground, which is when it gets parked on top of 4x4's or 6x6's to eliminate ground contact.

And where else do you get "ASV Rubber Track Loaders come with a one-year/unlimited-hour warranty* that covers defects in material or workmanship. Rubber tracks have a separate warranty that provides prorated coverage against defects for two-years or 1,000 operating hours*, whichever occurs first."

Your opinions and mileage may differ slightly, but I'm productive and happy :)

jmc said:
When I was looking at ASV, they had an optional track for turf work. It was green in color and from the picture, appeared to have little or no tread. It also looked like the sides of the tracks were beveled so as they slid sideways in a turn, the beveled edge would be less likely to dig. (That's from memory after 4 yrs so ....) Anyway, like most things, you can't have it both ways so while they may be turf friendly, they won't have the traction of a conventional treaded track. I was all set to by the RC50 but the dealer also rented them and when I looked the rental units over, a lot of the bogie wheels had deep grooves worn in them. The dealer was pretty upfront for a dealer and said you have to be careful where you run these or those wheels will have to be replaced even more often than normal. He called them a "maintenance item". 4 years ago they were $40/each plus labor and there were a bunch of them.
Sounds like that "green track" would never work for me. Much of what I'd be buying this unit for is difficult steep slope work. :(

Dougster

Maka said:
Well, since ASV manufactures Cats track system I find that a funny statement. Oh well, some people.
Maka
I knew the two were related... something about CAT owning 10% of ASV and them cross-utilizing some parts... but he implied that the CAT he was buying brand new was a much stronger machine and more suited for his construction work. His opinion and decision... not mine. :rolleyes:

Dougster